• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought sick puppy on CraigsList, seller refuses financial reimbursement.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sickpupper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

On Wednesday, I bought a puppy off of a CraigsList ad. Breeder said the puppy was healthy, but it had diarrhea when I brought it back to my home. I took it to the vet Friday morning and it turns out the puppy had a parasitic infection (Giardia). The vet noted that this was most likely contracted at the breeder's rather than my home, and documented it in a medical report I was given. I then contacted the breeder about the puppy's illness and for him to foot the bill (~$160), per the vet's diagnosis and documentation. He declined, stating his ignorance to any illness and saying that the puppy was healthy when it was at his place, in addition to the rest of his puppies being healthy. Due to the nature of CraigsList, I don't have much information about the breeder: only his first name, the city he lives in, and his phone number. So, my question is how much legal recourse do I have and how much further should I pursue financial reimbursement? Consumer affairs states that lemon laws do not affect hobby breeders, except for particularly active ones, which is defined as someone who has sold, transferred, or gave away two or more litters in the preceding calendar year. I believe the breeder falls under that category because he showed me pictures of his previous litter from the last year prior to the purchase.

quincy

On Wednesday, I bought a puppy off of a CraigsList ad. Breeder said the puppy was healthy, but it had diarrhea when I brought it back to my home. I took it to the vet Friday morning and it turns out the puppy had a parasitic infection (Giardia). The vet noted that this was most likely contracted at the breeder's rather than my home, and documented it in a medical report I was given. I then contacted the breeder about the puppy's illness and for him to foot the bill (~$160), per the vet's diagnosis and documentation. He declined, stating his ignorance to any illness and saying that the puppy was healthy when it was at his place, in addition to the rest of his puppies being healthy. Due to the nature of CraigsList, I don't have much information about the breeder: only his first name, the city he lives in, and his phone number. So, my question is how much legal recourse do I have and how much further should I pursue financial reimbursement? Consumer affairs states that lemon laws do not affect hobby breeders, except for particularly active ones, which is defined as someone who has sold, transferred, or gave away two or more litters in the preceding calendar year. I believe the breeder falls under that category because he showed me pictures of his previous litter from the last year prior to the purchase.
Is the breeder also a resident of California? If not, in what state does the breeder reside? How did you get the puppy (did you pick it up or did the breeder deliver the puppy to you)? What were the terms of the sale?

sickpupper

Is the breeder also a resident of California? If not, in what state does the breeder reside? How did you get the puppy (did you pick it up or did the breeder deliver the puppy to you)? What were the terms of the sale?
Yes, the breeder is also a resident of California. As usual with Craigslist sales, we met at a public location (parking lot of a McDonald's), which was near his house, and I paid for the puppy. Before the transaction, he told me the puppy was healthy and her stool was normal and at the time nothing appeared wrong with her, but she had diarrhea the first time she went at my house. Since she was so young, I thought it was a temporary reaction to being in a new home, but after a day and the frequency of it, I took her to the vet and we learned it was due to an illness.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is the puppy well (or expected to get well)? If so, then it's probably easiest to just eat the $160 and consider it a lesson learned about the need to buy from reputable breeders (if you're going to buy from a breeder, as opposed to a rescue.)

Here in North Florida, we have a lot of problems with pets, puppies in particular, bought from ads on Craigslist. Some of the sellers falsify documentation (if they have any). Many of the puppies are stolen. Many have infections or diseases. Giardia infections are not uncommon, especially in puppies.

From those I know who have sought reimbursement for medical issues from Craigslist pet purchases they have largely been unsuccessful. The obstacles encountered are identifying exactly who to sue in Small Claims Court, getting them served and/or to show up, and if a judgment is won, getting payment.

I hope you will keep the puppy and continue with any follow-up vet treatments that are necessary...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">