• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought Use Car from Private Party..engine problems!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamta1313

What is the name of your state? IN

Found a used car (around 125K miles on it) on an internet posting. Communicated with the seller (private party in Ohio) via emails and phone. Fixed a day to visit him and take a test drive. Test drive was perfect and a great looking car. Made an offer and bought the car. He gave me a Bill of Sale and got the Title (notorized) - I requested him to show a lower cost on the bill of sale so that I pay less/no taxes - which he did.

Drove for 7 days and realized that the engine had a major problem - burning of oil - mechanic said it had to be rebuilt.

I had asked the seller if the car emits smoke and he said (email) besides the mositure smoke there is no other smoke.

Contacted the seller to take the car back or pay some money towards the repairs. He disagreed stating that he sold the car 'AS IS' and I was free to get it checked by a dealer/mechanic before I bought it.

What is the course of action here? Can anything be done?

evanprice

If the bill of sale stated AS IS then you have no recourse- you could have taken it to a mechanic. Also, you admit that you committed tax evasion, maybe you should report yourself to the state for income tax fraud?
If you choose to pursue this in small claims court across multiple states it is going to be expensive and a real pain in the butt.

dallas702

Yeah, report yourself to the tax dogs because God knows your state needs that few bucks much more than you. Besides, they've only collected sales tax on that car 3 or 4 or 5 times already.

Use your tax "windfall" to rebuild your engine. You have no recourse (unless you want to send your wife or gf over to carp at the guy until he screams for mercy).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">