• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brand New car out of service for 27 days as of today

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiras25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

New car out of service for 27 days as of today.
Do I have a lemon?

I leased a new electric car Fiat 500e which ran for 3 days. It had an electrical problem and has been at the dealer for 27 days now.

I want to enact the lemon law (replacement). It seems to be a battery problem that shorted other components as well. Components have been replaced. Now the entire battery shipped from Chrysler and replaced already. They are testing now.
1. the car faulted while it was parked. But if this occurred while I was on the freeway, it would be a great risk of injury or death.
2. It is nearing the 30day out of service period.

I have been given a rental car. I have requested reimbursement for gas, since the whole reason for my leasing an electric car was to able to save on gas. Now, I have both the lease payment as well as gas payment ($200 already). Fiat has not approved this. I called the Fiat and they do not agree to compensate me for the gas.

So 2 questions I have. do I have a Lemon and am I entitled to be reimbursed for the gas?

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here is the AG's web site relating to the the "Lemon Law":

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

It appears that your car could be considered a lemon based on the 30 days out of service for repair when that occurs.

Read the site. I doubt you can get reimbursed for gas, but you can definitely expect reimbursement for the rental car.

LdiJ

Here is the AG's web site relating to the the "Lemon Law":

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

It appears that your car could be considered a lemon based on the 30 days out of service for repair when that occurs.

Read the site. I doubt you can get reimbursed for gas, but you can definitely expect reimbursement for the rental car.
It could be considered to be a lemon, but if they have pinpointed the exact issue, and its repairable, its not guaranteed that its a lemon.

Its when problems continue that it becomes legally a lemon. Obviously its taken a long time for the repair, but sometimes those long times are due to obtaining parts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">