• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brand new, won't start after 3 days, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmichaels55

What is the name of your state? CT. I just leased a brand new 2008 Hummer H3. I bought it on March 3rd. On the morning of Thursday March 6th I went to start it and it wouldn't start. 70 miles on the odometer! Roadside assistance picked it up on a flatbed and brought it to the Hummer dealer I purchased it from. After a day and a half, they thought they found the problem. Some wire in one of the wiring harnesses was loose, which went to the computer module that controls the theft deterrent, and was essentially telling the car that it was being stole, therefore it wouldn't start. They supposedly fixed it and returned to me on Saturday morning. I drove it Saturday and Sunday without any problems. Monday (today) comes and it doesn't start again. I thought I was gonna lose it! Again, roadside assistance comes and picks it up. This time the Hummer dealer has no clue what it is, because when it got to them, of course it was running fine. Now they have it and one of the techs is taking it home with some computer reading machine hooked up to it, hoping to catch something. The car now has 150 miles on it and I've owned it for exactly a week and it's been in the shop for 3 days, and will be at least 4 days as of tomorrow. What can do? Are there any special laws that work in my favor for a situation like this? I mean it's a brand new car, I shouldn't have to deal with it being in the shop for 3 out of the first 7 days I've owned it. I keep telling them I just want another one, and they keep ignoring my request. Anyone have any suggestions?????

i suggest researching your state's lemon law. get a good understanding of it and see how it applies to your situation. in the end, if the dealer cannot find the cause of the problem, they should replace your vehicle. my friend had the exact same situation w/ his car. he called road side assistance 3 X and had it towed to the dealer. eventually the dealer replaced the car with a new one.

Delawhere?

Check with your state attorney general's office - consumer affairs, etc. In most cases, if you have three (3) occurances of the same problem and the dealer cannot repair it so it doesn't keep occuring, most lemon laws state that you are entitled to a replacement vehicle. Again, the key is your state's lemon laws, I remember hearing some radio ad while driving through NJ for a 1-800-myLEMON to call about vehicle problems, maybe they have the same in CT?

Make sure you have all the receipts showing the complaint that you stated "car won't start.." so each time you get it back from the dealer, you have an established course of attempting to get the vehicle fixed for the same issue over and over again. That will help you with making your case for replacement under CT's lemon law. Best of luck to you.

What is the name of your state? CT. I just leased a brand new 2008 Hummer H3. I bought it on March 3rd. On the morning of Thursday March 6th I went to start it and it wouldn't start. 70 miles on the odometer! Roadside assistance picked it up on a flatbed and brought it to the Hummer dealer I purchased it from. After a day and a half, they thought they found the problem. Some wire in one of the wiring harnesses was loose, which went to the computer module that controls the theft deterrent, and was essentially telling the car that it was being stole, therefore it wouldn't start. They supposedly fixed it and returned to me on Saturday morning. I drove it Saturday and Sunday without any problems. Monday (today) comes and it doesn't start again. I thought I was gonna lose it! Again, roadside assistance comes and picks it up. This time the Hummer dealer has no clue what it is, because when it got to them, of course it was running fine. Now they have it and one of the techs is taking it home with some computer reading machine hooked up to it, hoping to catch something. The car now has 150 miles on it and I've owned it for exactly a week and it's been in the shop for 3 days, and will be at least 4 days as of tomorrow. What can do? Are there any special laws that work in my favor for a situation like this? I mean it's a brand new car, I shouldn't have to deal with it being in the shop for 3 out of the first 7 days I've owned it. I keep telling them I just want another one, and they keep ignoring my request. Anyone have any suggestions?????

1) Agree with the other posters...find your state's lemon laws and follow them to the T.
http://www.autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/CT_lemonlaw2.html

2) Karma for buying a hummer. :p (Enjoy the gas prices! :))

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">