• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken Odometer incorrect mileage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JonC

State is CA

I Purchased a vehicle from private party, the Mileage disclosed in online ad and on title he signed over reads 203K (bought this Volvo for 17 year old with the idea it would last a year)

I verified the odometer reading before purchase but (idiot move # 2), not that it was actually turning. Discovered within 30 minutes of leaving it was not. Turned out the vehicle may have as much as 240k+ miles. Contacted seller immediately, he stated it broke about 3 months ago (oops sorry should have told me). Ran Carfax report after the sale (Idiot move # 1). Turns out vehicle had 196K almost 3 years ago. Seller stated this was his daily driver and based on work and home location the mileage is way off. He laughed and said "hey you bought it."

In addition, although I checked the oil and the oil filler cap before purchase for signs of problems. After approximately 2 hours of driving, I now fear a head gasket problem hidden by a quick oil change prior to sale. Yes I've been had. Of course his ad (I do have a copy) claimed the car was in excellent condition.

Do I have any recourse?

Thanks

JonWhat is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">