• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken Timing Belt ruined engine three days after purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMass

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I bought a car on Monday. Last night it shut off while I was driving to school. I had to towed and the tow truck driver said the timing belt broke and the engine was junk.

I paid $2000 for a car that's no good.

Do I have a case?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry - you have no recourse against the seller. PARTICULARLY for a timing belt. There is no way to know if the timing belt is about to break, except for mileage.

PaulMass

Sorry - you have no recourse against the seller. PARTICULARLY for a timing belt. There is no way to know if the timing belt is about to break, except for mileage.
I thought the lemonade law said the car must pass inspection. This car won't pass inspection.

Andy0192

I thought the lemonade law said the car must pass inspection. This car won't pass inspection.
Does the "lemonade law" apply to used cars? Does it say you get to drive the car back & forth to school for a few days before you take it for inspection?

A used car bought "as-is" is just that. Look for a used motor or look for another car. The good news is, with the price of scrap metal being so high, the value of your used car should at least cover the cost of a tow & diagnosis of a broken timing belt, if you decide not to fix it.

swalsh411

How about taking the car to an actual mechanic instead of taking the tow truck driver at his word? A broken timing belt doesn't always mean you killed the engine.

And next time have the car inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase.

justalayman

well, if it is a requirement it pass inspection, feel free to demand a refund but be sure to discount your demand to cover the cost of the engine you will owe for.

You must return the car in the condition you received it. Since it was running when you bought it, it needs to be running when you return it.

PaulMass

Does the "lemonade law" apply to used cars? Does it say you get to drive the car back & forth to school for a few days before you take it for inspection?

A used car bought "as-is" is just that. Look for a used motor or look for another car. The good news is, with the price of scrap metal being so high, the value of your used car should at least cover the cost of a tow & diagnosis of a broken timing belt, if you decide not to fix it.
The law applies to used cars.

The law doesn't say I can't drive it to school before I have it inspected.

The law also says I can return the car and get a full refund. Why should I scrap it and eat $2000?

Zigner

You may actually have some recourse -

Review http://tinyurl.com/5rdk6pu for more information. You have to act quickly as you only have today and this weekend to do this!

(My prior response was incorrect)

PaulMass

well, if it is a requirement it pass inspection, feel free to demand a refund but be sure to discount your demand to cover the cost of the engine you will owe for.

You must return the car in the condition you received it. Since it was running when you bought it, it needs to be running when you return it.
That's not what the law says.

PaulMass

How about taking the car to an actual mechanic instead of taking the tow truck driver at his word? A broken timing belt doesn't always mean you killed the engine.

And next time have the car inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase.
Gee, what a great idea. Have it towed to a mechanic. Why didn't I think of that?

The car WAS towed to a garage, but there was no mechanic on duty last night when the car was towed in.

And it was inspected prior to purchase.

Did you have any Legal advice, or are you just here to gloat over other people's problems?

Zigner

What can save our OP is if he can get it diagnosed by a mechanic to show what the problem is AND that it would cost more than 10% of the purchase price to fix AND that the problem is not due to anything that happened while in the possession of the OP.

All by Sunday.

ETA: Actually, the State inspection needs to be done (and failed) by Sunday - then our OP has another 7 days to get his ducks in a row...

Check out the link, folks. MA gives a lot of consumer protection for used car sales ;)

Last edited:

Zigner

Gee, what a great idea. Have it towed to a mechanic. Why didn't I think of that?

The car WAS towed to a garage, but there was no mechanic on duty last night when the car was towed in.

And it was inspected prior to purchase.

Did you have any Legal advice, or are you just here to gloat over other people's problems?
Has the vehicle failed the State inspection?

PaulMass

You may actually have some recourse -

Review Lemon Aid Law for more information. You have to act quickly as you only have today and this weekend to do this!

(My prior response was incorrect)
Thank you!!!! I was just looking at that page too.

The mechanic just called and said the motor's junk. I asked him to tow it to an inspection station and get a rejection sticker.

I'll send the letter this weekend, after I get the inspection report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">