• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer asking for money back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arwhitley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I sold a Jeep to a woman about a month ago and she is now coming back to me saying she's had to do all these repairs on the Jeep and is asking for money back. When I sold her the Jeep I was not aware of these issues and was not asked what was expressly wrong with the vehicle. She has talked about taking me to small claims court over the matter. I am at fault in any of this or is this considered an as-is purchase? Should I contact her back at all to discuss the matter?

Thanks!!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I sold a Jeep to a woman about a month ago and she is now coming back to me saying she's had to do all these repairs on the Jeep and is asking for money back. When I sold her the Jeep I was not aware of these issues and was not asked what was expressly wrong with the vehicle. She has talked about taking me to small claims court over the matter. I am at fault in any of this or is this considered an as-is purchase? Should I contact her back at all to discuss the matter?

Thanks!!
Thank you for providing your Jeep's year, arwhitley. The 2002 Jeeps are one of the many years of Jeeps that were recalled to have manufacturer defects repaired. But this does not appear to make a difference if you did not lie about the fact it was a recalled vehicle and/or if you had already had your Jeep repaired.

And Colorado's Lemon Law applies only to new cars. Used cars are purchased "as-is." It was up to your purchaser to have the vehicle inspected prior to purchase. The fact that she discovered problems after she purchased the vehicle is unfortunate but she could have avoided the problems with a pre-purchase inspection.

Just for the heck of it, here are two links, the first to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Consumer Advisory on recalled Jeeps and the second to the Colorado State Attorney General's site with information on the Lemon Law:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press-Releases/2014/nhtsa-urges-owners-of-recalled-jeeps-to-contact-dealers-for-repair

http://www.coloradoattorneygeneral.gov/initiatives/consumer_resource_guide/automobiles

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">