• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer wants to sue over boat sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wriggs

What is the name of your state?MN
I sold an old pontoon boat 2 months ago. However the trailer was only only 4 years old. The motor also from the laye 70's. Everything ran fine when I put it on the trailer. I then put it up for sale and a guy came and looked at it and paid $2000 for all of it. Also said he wasn't interested much in pontoon or motor--mainly just trailer and said he was going to resell pontoon. I did(and it was probly a mistake) sign a bill of sale that motor ran fine but that I felt it needed a minor tune-up. NOW 2 months later he calls and tells me that he just now got around to looking at it and found that the steering cable is froze up the sparkplugs holes are almost stripped out and says he needs $900 to fix it. He said if I gave him $ 450 that he would settle and just take pontoon to the dump as he doesn't want it anyway. i offered him $300 he says no that he is going to take me to court. I did some research on bluebook sites and the trailer is worth 1700 pontoon is worth 800 and motor is only worth 100. I would never put 900 into a $100 motor. Anyway, that's the story. I could see maybe after a week calling me but it has been two months. Also, keep in mind he never even tried to start nor did he even take it in the water. Does he have a leg to stand on id he does take me to court? I described it to him as best as i knes and it worked just fine when i put it on the trailer and i have 2 witnesses to prove it. Any of your advice is appreciated.

Warped

I'm not a lawyer!

What exactly did the bill of sale say? Is there anything about the boat, motor and trailer being sold "As-is"? Either way, in your position, I would tell the guy to pack sand and not give him a dime. He had ample opportunity to check out the boat both before purchasing it from you and certainly 2 months after the purchase. I'm sure that the attorneys here will give you their legal perspective.

wriggs

The bill-of -sale said that the motor was in good running condition and that it needed a minor tune-up--also said the pontoons don't leakwhich i know for a fact they don't--------the motor ran fine like i said when i put it on trailer with a little miss--i personally knew of no other problems. i would just think the fact he didnt even try to start it and the fact that 2 months later i hear from him as kind of a bit fishy.

wriggs

Well, after not hearing anything, i finally got a notce to appear in a hearing to see if we can settle. If we can't settle, then it goes before judge. He is suing for 900.00 plus court fees of 169. Now I just went on Nada and trailer and pontoon in low retail value are worth 2691.50. Motor worth 100. Also, low retail states that items may need some work to them. He now states he found rotted furniture, yet he certaintly could see that because he put all of the cushions in the back of his truck. What do you all think???? I sold the thing for 2000.00---keep in mind i did sign that the motor needed minor tune-up----you think hell get his full 1069$ or will he get nothing. Do you think the judge will look at the values and sya it isn't worht putting 900 into a motor only worth 100------Appreciate all replies

wriggs

Also, one more question. Does a Bill of Sale form have to be a legal form like I find in the computer or can it just be a piece of paper with writing on it. and if it can be does he have to provide me a copy at time of sale--he never did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">