• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the buyers are trying to scam me!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xspringdaizyx

My family recently sold a car of a loved one that had passed away. The buyer came with his sister and his girlfriend to look at the car. They said he just got his license so he is eagerly looking for a car. They looked it over and his girlfriend and him took it for a test drive. I politely let them know that I had other people coming to look at the car and that I wasn't going to hold it for them unless he was serious about buying. He said it is a great car and rides good so he didn't want to pass it up. They asked if we could have it inspected since it ran out at the end of the month so I politely said yes since I knew the car would pass because it is in good condition for a 11 year old car with low miles. Two days later we meet up to transfer the car. He brought his sister and her boyfriend along with him to assist in looking the car over yet again. The buyer showed up to the notary without insurance and asked if he could take it home without it (NO) or if they could use a plate off of a car they still have insured but no longer use. The sale went through just fine and the buyers didn't contact us until 30 days after the sale claiming there were 3 things wrong with the car and that it shouldn't have been inspected. They demanded money back right away! Within a day or two they managed to claim more and more things wrong with the car and demanded the money back for the car, title, transfer fees, taxes (they are requesting 3k). They filed a suit against us (the private sellers) and the mechanic that inspected it prior to sale. The car was in good running condition prior to the sale. We never gave them a warranty or promised that the car was in perfect condition. a lot of the other details regarding the buyer just aren't adding up- very sketchy! WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?!?!

adjusterjack

I agree. You're being scammed.

But if you have been served with a summons and complaint you have to either respond to it or show up at the scheduled hearing and defend yourself.

If you have no idea how to do that, you'll need to hire a lawyer.

quincy

My family recently sold a car of a loved one that had passed away. The buyer came with his sister and his girlfriend to look at the car. They said he just got his license so he is eagerly looking for a car. They looked it over and his girlfriend and him took it for a test drive. I politely let them know that I had other people coming to look at the car and that I wasn't going to hold it for them unless he was serious about buying. He said it is a great car and rides good so he didn't want to pass it up. They asked if we could have it inspected since it ran out at the end of the month so I politely said yes since I knew the car would pass because it is in good condition for a 11 year old car with low miles. Two days later we meet up to transfer the car. He brought his sister and her boyfriend along with him to assist in looking the car over yet again. The buyer showed up to the notary without insurance and asked if he could take it home without it (NO) or if they could use a plate off of a car they still have insured but no longer use. The sale went through just fine and the buyers didn't contact us until 30 days after the sale claiming there were 3 things wrong with the car and that it shouldn't have been inspected. They demanded money back right away! Within a day or two they managed to claim more and more things wrong with the car and demanded the money back for the car, title, transfer fees, taxes (they are requesting 3k). They filed a suit against us (the private sellers) and the mechanic that inspected it prior to sale. The car was in good running condition prior to the sale. We never gave them a warranty or promised that the car was in perfect condition. a lot of the other details regarding the buyer just aren't adding up- very sketchy! WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?!?!
What is the name of your state?

I agree with adjusterjack that, if you have been served with a summons and complaint, you must respond with an answer to the complaint. For this, you would be smart to consult with a lawyer. If you provide your state name, however, I can provide you with your state's rules of civil procedure so you can see if you are up to handling this on your own.

I am sorry about the loss of your loved one.

xspringdaizyx

Thank you both! PA is the state. We have already contacted a lawyer but I was just looking for more advice. I don't have to have a lawyer but it's either pay somebody a couple hundred dollars or pay these buyers 3000. Just mentally exhausting.

The buyer is 26 and just got his license and is currently out of a job. Sound fishy?

quincy

Thank you both! PA is the state. We have already contacted a lawyer but I was just looking for more advice. I don't have to have a lawyer but it's either pay somebody a couple hundred dollars or pay these buyers 3000. Just mentally exhausting.

The buyer is 26 and just got his license and is currently out of a job. Sound fishy?
That the buyer is 26, just got a license and is currently out of a job does not sound all that fishy. It is possible that the fellow realized after purchasing the vehicle that he could not afford it and could see no other way to get his money back. I don't know.

But, based strictly on what you have said, it doesn't sound like the buyer has much to support his legal action. Your lawyer will be able to handle this for you, probably with very little difficulty.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">