• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cadillac

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JakeOhio15

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2005 Cadillac SRX from a small car lot.
On the 16th day of ownership I took it into the repair shop because it started running horrible. The next day my mechanic calls to inform me it needs a new timing chain along with other items ($3,400.00 worth of work).
I did not know anything was wrong with the vehicle because usually when a vehicle has something wrong like this the check engine light will illuminate.
Upon further investigation by the mechanic, he found that the check engine light bulb had been completely removed.
Is this illegal? Can I fight this legally with any hope of winning?

Thank you.

Indiana Filer

Why did you delete the question asking the name of your state? That's important information. We can assume it is OH, but we don't do assumptions here.

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2005 Cadillac SRX from a small car lot.
On the 16th day of ownership I took it into the repair shop because it started running horrible. The next day my mechanic calls to inform me it needs a new timing chain along with other items ($3,400.00 worth of work).
I did not know anything was wrong with the vehicle because usually when a vehicle has something wrong like this the check engine light will illuminate.
Upon further investigation by the mechanic, he found that the check engine light bulb had been completely removed.
Is this illegal? Can I fight this legally with any hope of winning?

Thank you.

OHRoadwarrior

Unless you are in CA, where they require an emission cert be provided by the seller, you appear to have bought the car as is. If the car ran good for 15 days, you can freely assume the timing chain was functioning during your period of ownership. You do not appear to have any proof the dealership removed the bulb and you have not indicated what codes were hiding in the computer to give further info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">