• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a buyer return an used car purchase (private sale)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momeim

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ----California

Does anyone know legal rules about private car sales? I am in California. My family sold our old car about 2 weeks ago (6/22), but now the buyer wants to return the car. They stated that the car has an illegal catalytic converter in the emission system. Our car is 1998 Honda Accord, but it somehow has a pre-1996 OBD system. So they can't do smog check and can't register the car. However, we were completely not aware of this illegal catalytic part or any problems they brought up. We bought the car off someone else as well. Our car passed smog check November 2014. When we sold them the car, it was completely working with no issue and warning, but now the check engine light is on. We are not sure what to do. They kept saying if we don t return the money, they are going to sue and report us. Anyone knows anything about this? Or any opinion? Thanks a bunch!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ----California

Does anyone know legal rules about private car sales? I am in California. My family sold our old car about 2 weeks ago (6/22), but now the buyer wants to return the car. They stated that the car has an illegal catalytic converter in the emission system. Our car is 1998 Honda Accord, but it somehow has a pre-1996 OBD system. So they can't do smog check and can't register the car. However, we were completely not aware of this illegal catalytic part or any problems they brought up. We bought the car off someone else as well. Our car passed smog check November 2014. When we sold them the car, it was completely working with no issue and warning, but now the check engine light is on. We are not sure what to do. They kept saying if we don t return the money, they are going to sue and report us. Anyone knows anything about this? Or any opinion? Thanks a bunch!!
I would suggest that you offer to provide a valid SMOG cert (<90 days old), as you were required to do in the first place. Take it to the same place that passed it in November.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">