• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get all my money back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

windy12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California I bought a car from a ford dealer, a bit over a month ago, drove for 1 week, been in the shop the rest of the time. I talked to the general manager, he said pick another car or get my money back. I told him I'll take my money. He says that they had to repair my trade in and they want to give me the bill for it $4,000. can they charge me for repairing my trade in.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California I bought a car from a ford dealer, a bit over a month ago, drove for 1 week, been in the shop the rest of the time. I talked to the general manager, he said pick another car or get my money back. I told him I'll take my money. He says that they had to repair my trade in and they want to give me the bill for it $4,000. can they charge me for repairing my trade in.
If they did work to the vehicle (aside from smogging it) yes, they can ask for reimbursement of their expenses. Ask to see an invoice. You also have the option of picking another vehicle.

justalayman

they are giving money back, not the traded in car, right?

then no, they can't charge you for the repairs they did to your trade in. You made a bargain; your car (which I am sure they placed some dollar value on it and that is what they "paid" you for it) and then enough cash to meet the sales price.

what they did to the car after they bought it from you is irrelevant to what they have to do to rescind the sale.

you are due exactly what you gave them which would be the sales price of the car your bought.

Now, if they are returning your trade to you, yes, it would be fair to charge you for the repairs that were performed on the vehicle. If you didn't pay for them, you would be getting your old car repaired for free, which isn't fair to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">