• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't tell if I have a Fair Business Practices violation with dealership lying to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkcorbett89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I bought a used car006 Ford Escape "AS-IS." The car broke down three weeks later and a very reputable mechanic told me it would be cheaper to replace the engine. I signed the contract willingly and all. I understand I have no case to have them fix my car based on any legal obligation to me by them.

However, the salesman told me the following things that I have written record of him saying and could prove.

1. He told me the dealership bought the car from a "grandma" that morning, and that it passed all the tests the dealership normally runs.

2. The manager wrote me in response to an e-mail and told me they did not run any tests on the car and that they actually bought it from another Ford Dealership.

I have it also from the salesman that he agrees that I told him that day that I was buying the car based on what he was telling me that day.

So, he lied to me by saying they ran tests they didn't actually run, and he lied to me about from where they got the car.

I can't have them fix it based on warranty or obligation, but if the salesman just plain lied to me to sell me the car about the tests they did(n't) perform and where they got it, shouldn't I be able to make a Fair Business Practices case?

~Trying to get some resolution

Dave1952

You were told that it passed all of the tests the dealer normally runs. You were told that no tests were run. If the dealer does not normally run any tests on as-is, used cars then you were not lied to. Why didn't you run tests on this as-is car?

OHRoadwarrior

It appears the problem is you did not take the car for an independent inspection prior to buying it. The salesman can claim he mistook it for another of their vehicles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">