• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dylan11

sacramento california What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? sacramento california i bought a used vehicle from a 17 year old kid i am 18 the cars registration has been paid he said i shouldnt have a problem smogging it gave me paper work on the car bill of sale does not state as is i called the dmv the car is still in the previous owners name whom the person that sold the car to me is not i in his name are his parents responsible for refunding the monies back to me car wont pass smog caught on fire the first day i got it home then three days later broke down in parking lot i no i have to file small claims but i dont no were to start ccan you please help me:mad:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The bill of sale doesn't need to state "as-is" - it's considered an "as-is" sale unless otherwise specified. Enjoy your new car.

swalsh411

Except aren't all used cars more than four years old required to be sold with a valid smog cert? If so, I would sue both the minor and the parents in small claims court for whatever you paid for the car.

The seller is committing a crime (felony in some states) by selling the car with an open title. It's called title-jumping.

You may wish to speak with the sheriffs office in this regard. You may or may not ever get your money back but the seller needs to be stopped.

Hopefully you will be more careful next time!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">