• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Buying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Savannaha

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I bought a car about three weeks ago from a small car lot here locally. I did buy the car "as is" however I am making payments on it. For the past week or more EVERYTHING has been going wrong with the car. For instance: the back windows are not rolling down, one of the front tires blew out, the fan makes an annoying screetch when the car is started, the bumper is falling off (litteraly), the inside of the door has peices falling off and now the passanger side door will only open spratically. Basically I feel very taken advantage of by the dealer. When I have talked to him (the dealer) he act generally unconcerned and ignores my complaints. I guess my question is what can I do about this? I will NEVER recommend this dealer to anyone else due to these problems I am having with the car. Any help/advise would be great!!!
Thanks!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

I bought a car about three weeks ago from a small car lot here locally. I did buy the car "as is" however I am making payments on it. For the past week or more EVERYTHING has been going wrong with the car. For instance: the back windows are not rolling down, one of the front tires blew out, the fan makes an annoying screetch when the car is started, the bumper is falling off (litteraly), the inside of the door has peices falling off and now the passanger side door will only open spratically. Basically I feel very taken advantage of by the dealer because I failed to have the car inspected by a mechanic before I bought it. When I have talked to him (the dealer) he act generally unconcerned and ignores my complaints. I guess my question is what can I do about this? I will NEVER recommend this dealer to anyone else due to these problems I am having with the car. Any help/advise would be great!!!
Thanks!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I edited your post to what you should have posted. Lesson learned, don't let it happen again. Enjoy your car.

Kiawah

Sounds like the previous owner has not done a number of minor maintenance items that should have been taken care of. As mentioned, you should have had the vehicle inspected PRIOR to purchasing it.

I'd get it to a mechanic. The screeching belt may be just a worn belt, but it also could be one of the accessory bearings (or tensioner) bearings going bad. That could be a cheap/easy fix, or a problem that you don't want to occur while driving on the road.

Inside door parts could be just items coming loose, and need tightened up.

You didn't buy a new car, you bought a used car. Very probable there is stuff wrong with all used cars, which is why it's very important to have it inspected before you agree to buy. Problems could be small, or problems used vehicles have could be multi-thousands of dollars to repair.

sandyclaus

I bought a car about three weeks ago from a small car lot here locally. I did buy the car "as is" however I am making payments on it. For the past week or more EVERYTHING has been going wrong with the car. For instance: the back windows are not rolling down, one of the front tires blew out, the fan makes an annoying screetch when the car is started, the bumper is falling off (litteraly), the inside of the door has peices falling off and now the passanger side door will only open spratically. Basically I feel very taken advantage of by the dealer. When I have talked to him (the dealer) he act generally unconcerned and ignores my complaints. I guess my question is what can I do about this? I will NEVER recommend this dealer to anyone else due to these problems I am having with the car. Any help/advise would be great!!!
Word to the wise: When you purchase a used vehicle from ANYONE, you run the risk of the vehicle having hidden problems that the seller is not disclosing. Unless the seller provides a written warranty, the vehicle is purchased as you find it.

To the average person, problems (such as defects or safety issues) may not be apparent or even noticeable, but a TRAINED MECHANIC can discover and identify these issues. That is why you should ALWAYS hire your own mechanic to inspect the vehicle prior to completing the purchase. When you don't, then whatever problems you see (or DON'T see, until it's too late) are all yours to deal with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">