• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car with no title or bill of sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Loozoo730

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I know that this transaction was not the most intelligent, but it was a good deal considering the circumstances. I had my brothers highly damaged vehicle and I had planned on junking it, then I had a friend who wanted to to fix it up and sell it. We arranged a deal to trade it for a vehicle he was in the process of acquiring through another trade. The other vehicle was a 1975 Triumph Spitfire that is completely rusted and doesn't run. I wanted it for a project car. The guy my friend got the car from does not have the title and does not know who does. What can I do to get the title or some kind of title to make it legally my car. If nothing else and I cannot find a title for it, the Triumphs fate with be a scrap yard, something I am trying to prevent. Thanks!

dmf32835

You can get a Bill of Sale form from LegalFormsBank.biz/billofsale.asp that you could fill out and get that guy to sign.

justalayman

You can get a Bill of Sale form from LegalFormsBank.biz/billofsale.asp that you could fill out and get that guy to sign.
and then what? If the guy was not the legal owner, he cannot sell what is not his so a reciept is worthless.

I would start with the local police and ask them to check the VIN to see if it is a stolen vehicle. Then, if it isn;t, contact your states DMV or BMV or whomever deals with car titles and ask them how to do a search via the VIN to attempt to find the rightful owner.

teflon_jones

Go to the Wisconsin Dept of Motor Vehicles website and fill out the form for a lost title and they'll provide a new copy for a small (or large) fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">