• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Repo and storage charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AA86

My fiancé had his car repo and some of my belongings that were left in the car also got taken away. He has now got his car back and has been trying for 3 weeks to get a hold of the storage place but no one would pick up the phone till now. The company had told him he would have to pay a certain amount for each day the items were there in storage, so my question is ; if all those items were mine and did not belong to him do we still have to pay? No where did I sign in the car agreement that if the car would get repo my items would be taken with it. I was not aware of the car situation until it was to late, or I would never of left any of my items in the car. What can I do?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My fiancé had his car repo and some of my belongings that were left in the car also got taken away. He has now got his car back and has been trying for 3 weeks to get a hold of the storage place but no one would pick up the phone till now. The company had told him he would have to pay a certain amount for each day the items were there in storage, so my question is ; if all those items were mine and did not belong to him do we still have to pay? No where did I sign in the car agreement that if the car would get repo my items would be taken with it. I was not aware of the car situation until it was to late, or I would never of left any of my items in the car. What can I do?
Your boyfriend should pay the storage fees. You don't have to pay anything but he does.

AA86

So there has to be a fee for them taking items that belong to me without my permission?? That's what it was coming down too, my fiancé was warned when he went to pick up his car that all the items might not be there because it so happened their employees like to take stuff. So I might also be looking at theft, I don't understand why I wouldn't be able to get my things back without a payment because I have nothing to do with the car and the paper work to go with it, my items were just left in the car at a wrong time.

So there has to be a fee for them taking items that belong to me without my permission?? That's what it was coming down too, my fiancé was warned when he went to pick up his car that all the items might not be there because it so happened their employees like to take stuff. So I might also be looking at theft, I don't understand why I wouldn't be able to get my things back without a payment because I have nothing to do with the car and the paper work to go with it, my items were just left in the car at a wrong time.
You answered your own question. They won't release the items found in your boyfriend's car until he pays the fees. You left your stuff in your boyfriend's care by leaving it in his car. Your beef is with him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">