• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car repossessment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daniherber

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
sorry if this is the wrong category.
I sold a car to a friend on the agreement of payments and I would keep the title as insurance. he gave me the first payment right away then a small one a little after. after that I never received any payments. I continued to ask him and he either ignored me or said he had to fix something on it instead. after 2 months of no payments I gave him a final warning saying he had until September 1st. he still ignored me so a couple weeks after the 1st. I repossessed my car and right when I got in it I noticed national guard bags. I took it to him within 15 min of me having the car. now he is threating me, stating I broke federal laws and he's going to take me to court. I just want to know if I am in the right? I previously asked a police officer if I had a right to possess it and he said yes.

adjusterjack

He's probably blowing smoke.

You're fine.

Stop talking to him.

Never sell anything to anybody on payments, not even your best friend or family member.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
sorry if this is the wrong category.
I sold a car to a friend on the agreement of payments and I would keep the title as insurance. he gave me the first payment right away then a small one a little after. after that I never received any payments. I continued to ask him and he either ignored me or said he had to fix something on it instead. after 2 months of no payments I gave him a final warning saying he had until September 1st. he still ignored me so a couple weeks after the 1st. I repossessed my car and right when I got in it I noticed national guard bags. I took it to him within 15 min of me having the car. now he is threating me, stating I broke federal laws and he's going to take me to court. I just want to know if I am in the right? I previously asked a police officer if I had a right to possess it and he said yes.
You could potentially have the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to contend with, depending on the facts. The SCRA permits a service member to postpone or suspend payments without penalty during the time of active duty.

Here is a link to information on the SCRA: http://military.com/benefits/military-legal-matters/scra/servicemembers-civil-relief-act-overview.html

Whether this applies to your friend in the National Guard and his payments on the car is something you will need to determine. I don't know whether it does or not.

Last edited:

quincy

He did not go away besides the one weekend every month type of thing they do
Well, that should eliminate that concern then. I have no clue what other "federal law" your friend thinks you might have violated by repossessing the vehicle he failed to make payments on.

You did provide him with a "last chance" notice before repossession?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">