• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car will not pass emissions.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jthurston1127

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tenn Wilson County.
I recently purchased a used car. The car is in good shape no leaks or any kind of issues that are visable I payed the down payment, tax and title fee's and took it to MARTA here in Wilson county.
The car Failed Emissions and the "check engine light" will not come on so I return the car to the dealer and he tells me to take it to a shop. which I do and the shop tells me the light has been removed from the car. The shop fix's the light and tries to address the emission issue. I get the car back and for about 24 hours all good (light is off) until the check engine light comes on again. I return to the dealership a second time and he sends me to another shop. They fix a couple of hoses and a new gas cap.

Long story short I have failed emissions through MARTA 3 times now. Been to the shop three times and I'm on my second set of 30 day tags for the car and here in Tenn you can not purchase a 3rd temp tag. The dealership admits that he can not put the car in my name until it passes emissions and the 2nd tag expires on the 25th of may. I'm not sure what to do at this point. the dealer hasn't been resistant to helping me but we are getting no where and after three go arounds at the shop and now a fourth trip forthcoming I'm not sure what to do or what my rights are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">