• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chevy Malibu intake manifold gasket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdtkallen

First and last GM owner

I am in the military and in 1999 bought a Chevy Malibu in NC. I have had constant problems with the rotors warping, which all fell under warranty until I got stationed in Germany. In 2001 I moved to Germany and shipped my Malibu with permission from GMAC as lein holder. Since I have been in Germany I have had to replace rotors twice and replace the intake manifold gasket once. Now the intake gasket has started leaking again and next week I will be replacing it again. The first time the gasket was replaced I contacted GMAC and they referred me to an International GM Goodwrench website to located a service center in Germany close to me. I found a service center and it cost $1300 to have the work done plus I had to purchase all parts, all in all it was over $1500. Germans do have a racket on military here. GM will not honor the extended warranty I purchased in 1999 because the vehicle is overseas. Is there anything I can do to recoup some of the money I have had to put into this badly engineered crap car?

wnagel

Read your warranty very carefully. I have heard that some people have gotten reimbursed under the subsection of 'emergency repairs'. Basically, if you break down and there is no GM dealer around, that you can have a regular garage repair the vehicle and then ask for reimbursment from GM. Obviously, if there is a rule of no warranty overseas, this could take precedence. Again, read your warranty.

Sotiredofchevy

Chevy Malibu CHRONIC overheating!!!!

:mad: I have replaced my gasket, My coolant reservior, the thermastat and I have had a flush. My chevy Malibu is still overheating. How do I find out if it is related to the Manifold gasket?
I don't know what to do at this point besides to get rid of the car.:mad:

jaybee1981

Happened to me too!

I can't believe it, but this just happened to my 99 chevy malibu as well.

The lower intake manifold gasket had to be replaced (thank god I had an extended warranty to cover it and the 2,000 other problems I have had with this car). Not even a month later (and of course my ext. warranty is now expired), my water pump blew out. I do have 90,000 miles but this car is JUNK!

I also have the problem with the A/C blinking on and off, the rotors problem, struts, and probably every other problem everyone else has had. Ugh. :eek:

When I got the intake manifold gasket fixed I also asked about a squeaking noise from the front of the car and both wheel bearings had to be replaced.

Never again..malibus are junk! :(

Last edited:

bqlauer

Add me to the list.

I'm going on a fourth time to have my intake manifold gasket replaced, all at the cost of around $800.

Rotors too.

Two alternators, both when my battery was replaced.

racer72

bqlauer said:
Add me to the list.

I'm going on a fourth time to have my intake manifold gasket replaced, all at the cost of around $800.

Rotors too.

Two alternators, both when my battery was replaced.
Please do not revive dead threads.

sjohnsontx

another unhappy Malibu owner

I am in Texas.

I too have a Malibu (2000) with a leaking intake gasket.

Is anyone involved with a suit yet? I want to get in on the list. :(

Never ending

Never Ending

Utah

Having Intake manifold replaced as I write this, $700 Two weeks ago, the igition module (theft system), air conditioner/heater 1 & 2 positions don't work, dash lights flickering $800.00, 6 months ago, fuel pump & filter, 7 months ago, emissions pump $800.00. Yeah, I'm sick of the car. Oh, chevy did replace the turn signal at no cost (what a joke).

raelynd

Interested in Class Action Suit

State: Missouri

2001 Malibu purchased April '04 w/80k miles

Now w/110k miles & having constant gasket leak for last seven months.
Corroded material in reservior & reservior cap, oil leaking into water in reservior. Refilled with fluid minimum 3 times/month.

Two mechanics quoted over $500 in repair costs.

Car was purchased as is/no warranty from used car dealership.

Add me to the list for the class action lawsuit:

Jennifer Martin e-mail:[email protected]

Kevinmg

99 Malibu

Kevin Graham from Massachusettes

I just recieved a phone call that I will be paying $850.00 DOLLARS for a intake manifold gasket did you or anyone out there find any law firms that are willing to take all these cases regaurding the problems that all these Chevy malibu's are having with the gaskets and all the other things that are going on with them. Any information would be a great help.

jaybee1981 said:
I can't believe it, but this just happened to my 99 chevy malibu as well.

The lower intake manifold gasket had to be replaced (thank god I had an extended warranty to cover it and the 2,000 other problems I have had with this car). Not even a month later (and of course my ext. warranty is now expired), my water pump blew out. I do have 90,000 miles but this car is JUNK!

I also have the problem with the A/C blinking on and off, the rotors problem, struts, and probably every other problem everyone else has had. Ugh. :eek:

When I got the intake manifold gasket fixed I also asked about a squeaking noise from the front of the car and both wheel bearings had to be replaced.

Never again..malibus are junk! :(

Kevinmg

99 malibu

You Are Guilty said:
Contact every other Malibu owner, see if their intake gaskets are leaking, take note of who says yes, then see attorney and file case against GM.
You can add another one to the list Mine just went on 11/22/05 with only 50,000 miles

juicew

Malibu Problems

I'm from NJ and have had the same probs and have the papers for it all so if there is a class action suit i'd like to be involved. I've had the radiator flushed the intake gasket replaced good thing i had the warrenty then but now theres other probs that i have to find out and have no warrenty. The first time it was in for service was about a month after i got the car for electrical probs.

:mad:

Does this thread really have almost 10,000 views? I know, I know, if 10,000 MORE idiots lilke myself check it out, it'll have 20,000!

dallas702

While I empathize with all these owners of GM junk, I notice that all of these problematic cars have 50,000 to over 100,000 miles on them. Even with a known defect there comes a point at which many other variables can cause a mechanical or component failure. Intake gaskets "should" last for the life of the car or engine, but any time an engine is overheated every component is at risk of failure. Needing a component replaced several times with only short use in between is obviously something that should be taken up with the dealer, regional office, or factory. But many of the complaints I see in this thread are common "wear and tear" failures. Most of these complaints wouldn't get anywhere in a lawsuit.

fishinfool

malibus

WooW! I cant believe I had this same problem! My malibu has 50.000 and I had to get the intack replaced, Im wondering whats NEXT? I need brakes cause the rotors are warped. I will be shocked if this car has no more problems, and I get to 100.000 miles!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">