• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chevy Malibu intake manifold gasket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

upal_2

What is the name of your state? CA

I have recently learned that many V6 Chevrolet Malibus suffer from leaking intake manifold gaskets. This problem has been going on for several years yet GM refuses to acknowledge it. I own a 2001 Malibu, recently I took it in for service. I was informed that my manifold gasket had gone bad and coolant was leaking into my engine. I have also read that engine coolant mixed with engine oil can cause the motor to freeze and lockup resulting in a catastrophic failure. So far GM is getting off scott-free on this issue, while there consumers must pay for their bad engineering.

How can I find out if there any on going class action law suits regarding this issue. This problem seems to be so wide spread that one must have been launched by now? If not, how do I go about starting a class action lawsuit?

Sincerely

Eric
[email protected]

You Are Guilty

Contact every other Malibu owner, see if their intake gaskets are leaking, take note of who says yes, then see attorney and file case against GM.

dfireonly

You Are Guilty said:
Contact every other Malibu owner, see if their intake gaskets are leaking, take note of who says yes, then see attorney and file case against GM.
I own a 2001 Chevy Malibu. The intake gasket leaks bad on my car and I know a person that work in a chevy dealership that use to replace them all the time. It started leaking at about 76,000 miles and I'm at 77,000 miles. The gasket is being replaced this week.

If anyone is filling a case against GM let me know.

wnagel

Wow, a topic that I know about. One theory of why the intake gasket fails is that the Dexcool anti freeze is the problem. Dexcool has been a problem with many of the GM vehicles since 1996 and yes, there is a class action that has already started. I was actually the expert in the case that collected the samples and did lots of the research.

The most commonly reported damages included corroded, rusted and clogged radiators, eroded aluminum cylinder heads, eroded water pumps and thermostat housings, rotten and leaking radiator hoses, leaky heater cores and freeze plugs, corroded radiator caps, deposits within the cooling system, damaged and leaky cooling system gaskets, damage to the head and intake gaskets, chronic overheating, damage to the engine, oil in engine coolant system, leaking coolant, deposits on the overflow tanks and sludge in the engine coolant system.

Over thirty-four million vehicles have been sold and continue to be sold by General Motors containing Dexcool. In many of these vehicles, the problems in the engine coolant system do not become apparent to owners until after the warranty has expired. General Motors has not agreed to repair vehicles not in warranty, recall vehicles, replace Dexcool with traditional coolants, change the maintenance schedule to include inspection of the engine coolant system, replace the coolant or inform owners.

If you do a search on the Internet for Dexcool and class action you will find numerous attorneys that are in the process of a class action against GM. Have a mechanic check your vehicle to make sure this is the actual problem with your vehicle.

automeister1

Malibu Owners with Intake Manifold Unite!

I'm sick of these unresolved Malibu intake manifold problems, and am investigating them for possible legal action. Anyone know if the Malibus have similar plastic manifold/plenum set up as the Impalas and Monte Carlos?

Regards,
Peter

Peter Zahn, Attorney at Law
Counsel Direct
12625 High Bluff Drive, Suite 110
San Diego, CA 92130
ph: 858-259-6555
fax: 858-259-6559
[email protected]

Kat61

Leaking Coolant in Malibu

I am from the state of NC. Just took my Chevy Malibu which has 76,400 miles because the coolant was leaking. This problem just started less than a month ago. I was told by the local GM dealership that the manifold gasket needs to be replaced. The pricetag is $900.00 dollars. Unfortunately, I have several other vehicles that are GM and foresee that possibly the same happening in the future. What legal option do I have? Please advise soonest. Thank you.

bigKb0y

98' Malibu

I drive a 1998 Chevy Malibu LS and my car has been leaking water for the past couple months. It has 105,000 miles on it right now so it probably had 103,000 when it started. I took it in to discover it is the Intake Manifold Gasket. I have noticed a lot of other people had their problems at about 75,000 miles but a lot of the miles on my car are interstate travel miles. I hope this helps.

Donald2005

Chevy Malibu 2002 intake gasket still leaks

I am Donald and I live in Maryland. In August 2002 I bought a 2002 Chevy Malibu V6. In October 2003 at 28K miles the intake gasket leaked and was repaired under warranty. Today March 11, 2005 at 55K miles I paid $250.00, which is $100 for warranty gasket and $128 oil flush, for the replacement of the intake gasket. In 18 months if it leaks again I will pay about $750.00 out of warranty. A service rep told me heat causes the gaskets to leak. If anybody knows anything I would like to know before the gasket leaks a third time. [email protected]

twinreg1

Mr

PA
I have a 2001 chevy malibu that I got used at 32k. Since the original warranty was still in effect, I bucked the common advice and got an extended warranty for 6 yrs and/or 100,000 miles. Today, 3-13-05, I had to get my intake manifold repaired and my car was covered under my warrantybynet plan. I paid about $900. for the extended warranty when I bought the car Sept '02. The cost is around $531. for the intake manifold repair. The manifold leaks and it is the second time I had a coolant flush that didn't really flush out the gunk. I also believe it is the dex-cool antifreeze. Since I'm under warranty, I don't think I can be in on the class action or any lawsuit for the coolant, but I sure would like to go after them for the brakes & rotors!!! Let me know!!!

Lynx 36

twinreg1 said:
PA
I have a 2001 chevy malibu that I got used at 32k. Since the original warranty was still in effect, I bucked the common advice and got an extended warranty for 6 yrs and/or 100,000 miles. Today, 3-13-05, I had to get my intake manifold repaired and my car was covered under my warrantybynet plan. I paid about $900. for the extended warranty when I bought the car Sept '02. The cost is around $531. for the intake manifold repair. The manifold leaks and it is the second time I had a coolant flush that didn't really flush out the gunk. I also believe it is the dex-cool antifreeze. Since I'm under warranty, I don't think I can be in on the class action or any lawsuit for the coolant, but I sure would like to go after them for the brakes & rotors!!! Let me know!!!
It's not the DEXCOOL antifreeze it is the gasket itself. I've confirmed this w/ two mechanics.

Widdle Wady

upal_2 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I have recently learned that many V6 Chevrolet Malibus suffer from leaking intake manifold gaskets. This problem has been going on for several years yet GM refuses to acknowledge it. I own a 2001 Malibu, recently I took it in for service. I was informed that my manifold gasket had gone bad and coolant was leaking into my engine. I have also read that engine coolant mixed with engine oil can cause the motor to freeze and lockup resulting in a catastrophic failure. So far GM is getting off scott-free on this issue, while there consumers must pay for their bad engineering.

How can I find out if there any on going class action law suits regarding this issue. This problem seems to be so wide spread that one must have been launched by now? If not, how do I go about starting a class action lawsuit?

Sincerely

Eric
[email protected]
Just as a manner of interest, I am going through it too~! I am so angry I could spit. I also use the Dexcool in my 1998 Chevy Malibu here in NY state.
Every weakness Malibu is noted for has manifested in my car including the ABS light. I am so stinkin' mad and frustrated. I don't have any answers for you but I am with ya on this problem. I am so stinkin' upset.

Anyway, just thought I let you know that I am in the same boat and was looking for class actions as well.

M....

redhot63042

chevy malibu LS 99 Manifold Intake Gasket Blown

:mad: :mad: hello I have noticed that I am not the only person having this problem with my Malibu. I have had the car for about 2yrs now it had about 60,000 miles or so on it when I took it off the lot, as is with no extended warranty. I couldn't afford it, and now the car has around 90,000 miles and just last week I paid 120.00 to put in a new oil pump, and now this week it over heated and the mechanic said it was the manifold intake gasket, it is blown and will cost 700+ to fix it, but even if I did fix it the motor's are notoriously for blowing even after the repair of the gasket, so it probably wouldn't even be worth it. Now, I have no car, 350+ payment monthly for two more yrs and no options. I don't want to fix this car if the motor is going to blow and end up costing me 5,000 anyway the car blue book isn't even worth that. So, anyone who can relate to being poor, and has no money for another car please send me any suggestions. Or if you have set up a lawsuit for the dexcool please contact me, I will gladly stand up for all Malibu owners against GM and what they are costing us as consumers. Good luck to all.

sassyangel76

98 Chevy Malibu

Maryland.
I have had my 98 chevy malibu for about 18 months now.Since than I have had to replace the water pump,the alternator bracket ,the starter (X2) the thermostat ,almost all hoses to and from radiator ,wipers,the brake recall,the air conditioner unit( and it still just turns on and off at random) and now last week I had a car that would over heat as quick as I turned the key,I take it in and get told it is the head gasket going up .Is it me? I take this car for fluid changes and checks every 3000 miles and have put more into it than I paid for it ? Any suggestions?

jjcarolan

Michigan
I have a 2000 Malibu LS, and have the same problem.

My water pump and master drive belt had to be replaced a few months ago, due to leaking. (~$700) Now, the intake gasket is leaking and has to be replaced. (~$680) My low coolant light has been coming on for both incidents.

We just figured out my car also needs new brakes & caliper pins. All of these repairs are about half of the value of my car. :(

maeaver

2001 Malibu

I am getting the same problem. I have notice my garage floor getting antifreeze. I haven't taking the car in for repairs yet. But I noticed a lot of people have this issue. What do you think I should do? Fix it or don't worry about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">