• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

craigslist financing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jchase

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I agreed to finance the purchase of a used vehicle from an individual seller. After driving the car for 2 months the repair cost had exceeded 3,000.00 . i spoke with the seller and asked the seller if i could return the vehicle for the amount i had paid up to that point or exchange the vehicle for the intial deposit of 4,000.00. the seller denied my request and stated that he had no knowledge of any mechanical errors. i went to get the vehicle checked out and there were various problems(i do have documentation and cost for all work done). Including motor oil in the abs/brake lines. the seller had verbally admitted to working on the braking system but had no knowledge of how this could have happened.
i have been paying 350.00 every week and would like to know if i have any options in the way of returning the vehicle.

:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

It's really impossible to tell without reading the contract.

See a local attorney and find out if the contract is binding.

jchase

payments

I also had a call from the seller who stated he would repo the car if i didnt pay him by noon on friday.

in our signed contract it does not specifiy when payments are due simply that they are due weekly. at this point i have not missed any payments and all payments were made in cash by 7pm on fridays i had to leave work to get cash and meet up? this seems a little unreasonable...can the seller repo the car whenever? technically i wasnt even late by any standard?

xylene

I also had a call from the seller who stated he would repo the car if i didnt pay him by noon on friday.

in our signed contract it does not specifiy when payments are due simply that they are due weekly. at this point i have not missed any payments and all payments were made in cash by 7pm on fridays i had to leave work to get cash and meet up? this seems a little unreasonable...can the seller repo the car whenever? technically i wasnt even late by any standard?
Does the seller even have a lein on the car?

You should consider talking to a lawyer at this point.

His possibly illegal repo might even help you.

Have a local lawyer review your contract.

jchase

it is shady

but from what it sounds like im pretty much stuck. Being that the vehicle was bought used from an individual makes the sale an "as is" condition which lets the seller off, if the car turns out to be a POS.
I wasjust trying to see if there was some avenue for the buyer to have any say in the transaction. i mean 350.00 every week is alot especially for a car thats had as many and as extensive amount of problems as mine.

xylene

but from what it sounds like im pretty much stuck. Being that the vehicle was bought used from an individual makes the sale an "as is" condition which lets the seller off, if the car turns out to be a POS.
I wasjust trying to see if there was some avenue for the buyer to have any say in the transaction. i mean 350.00 every week is alot especially for a car thats had as many and as extensive amount of problems as mine.
I asked a specific question.

Does the seller have a lein on the car?

xylene

If you have the title, and the seller has no lien, then he can't repo your car.

As I stated, you need to see a lawyer.

It is possible that if the seller illegally repoed your car you might have a great case.

You need to have someone review your whole contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">