• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer did not tell me my car was modified before selling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

04lss

Hello, I live in Virginia.

a little under 2 weeks ago I bought a used car. I was told the car was As is. I ended up purchasing the extended warranty on it. Its not running right, So I checked a few things with my monitoring tool and realized the computer had been retuned to give more performance. I went back to the dealer and asked the service department to check, and if so to make it stock again. I was told immediately (without them having to check) that the car had been modified, and unless I replaced the new parts it couldn't be made stock. The dealership clearly knew before I bought the car.
I avoid modified cars, typically I find that they have been run harder, and at the very least the changes mean they aren't operating the way the manufacturer intended. Had I know I wouldn't have bought the car.
This also begs the question is the warranty Valid? in my experience most warranties are voided by aftermarket alterations.

People have suggested that the car was sold under false pretenses, and that the contract is null and I should be able to return it.
Is this true?

xylene

I suggest you immediately go to the dealer and tell them you wan to return the car on account of their duplicity and see what they say. Modifying engine control computer may even be a violation of emissions law. They may be aware of that and agree to take the car back. Failing that I suspect you need to complain to the body that regulates car dealers and get a lawyer.

04lss

I suggest you immediately go to the dealer and tell them you wan to return the car on account of their duplicity and see what they say. Modifying engine control computer may even be a violation of emissions law. They may be aware of that and agree to take the car back. Failing that I suspect you need to complain to the body that regulates car dealers and get a lawyer.
When I talk to the dealer what do I say. Do I just say you tricked me and I didn't buy what you told me I was buying, or is there some sort of statute, or term I should reference?

justalayman

You have two possibilities:

If the car remains legal with the modifications you are the proud owner of whatever kind of car it is. The only concern after that is will the warranty cover the vehicle with it having been modified. If it will; enjoy your car. If not you would be able to deman a refund on the warranty. If you can show you would not have purchased the car if the warranty was not available you may have an arguable point the failure to disclose the modification should allow you to rescind the deal.

If the car does not meet emissions specs, you likely have more leverage BUT what year, make, model is the car. How many miles on it and what are the modifications?

04lss

You have two possibilities:

If the car remains legal with the modifications you are the proud owner of whatever kind of car it is. The only concern after that is will the warranty cover the vehicle with it having been modified. If it will; enjoy your car. If not you would be able to deman a refund on the warranty. If you can show you would not have purchased the car if the warranty was not available you may have an arguable point the failure to disclose the modification should allow you to rescind the deal.

If the car does not meet emissions specs, you likely have more leverage BUT what year, make, model is the car. How many miles on it and what are the modifications?
The car is a 2011, It had 88k when I bought it now its 89k. Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor were both replaced. The Computer has be retuned changing parameters such as timing, shift points boost etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">