• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defective ASUS product not being replaced or repaired by manufacturer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Projekt2

Hi,
I have a GL771JM-DH71, it is a gaming laptop made by ASUS. I noticed that I couldn't run games like the laptop was advertised to do. So when a game starts and it's going through the developer logos, there is no issue, but when the screen must render a large amount of graphics, it just blacks out. The game continues to run in the background, you can still hear audio and any progress you make with your character while the screen is black will show when the game reappears. This is not an issue with games that require very little RAM, like Peggle, but the issue makes games like Fallout 4 or Red Faction Guerrilla unplayable. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to get out of the menu to exit the game because I can't see where my cursor is.

After weeks of constant message back and forth to ASUS, where I was told multiple times by the customer representative that they had no idea what was going on, I sent my laptop into ASUS because they wanted to fix the issue. When I sent it in, I received an invoice for $400. I asked why I had to pay so much and I was told that the VGA card was defective, and their technician needs to replace the motherboard.

Do I have a case here? I would think that a company is responsible if there product is defective. I live in California. My product is a year and 5 month out of the warranty.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave1952

When did you first raise this issue with ASUS? Was the warranty still in effect then? If it's out of warranty and the video card doesn't work, you may find video cards on e-bay or craigslist.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
When did you first raise this issue with ASUS? Was the warranty still in effect then? If it's out of warranty and the video card doesn't work, you may find video cards on e-bay or craigslist.
In laptops, the cards are all built in the motherboard, since there's not a whole lot of space. :cool:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hi,
I have a GL771JM-DH71, it is a gaming laptop made by ASUS. I noticed that I couldn't run games like the laptop was advertised to do. So when a game starts and it's going through the developer logos, there is no issue, but when the screen must render a large amount of graphics, it just blacks out. The game continues to run in the background, you can still hear audio and any progress you make with your character while the screen is black will show when the game reappears. This is not an issue with games that require very little RAM, like Peggle, but the issue makes games like Fallout 4 or Red Faction Guerrilla unplayable. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to get out of the menu to exit the game because I can't see where my cursor is.

After weeks of constant message back and forth to ASUS, where I was told multiple times by the customer representative that they had no idea what was going on, I sent my laptop into ASUS because they wanted to fix the issue. When I sent it in, I received an invoice for $400. I asked why I had to pay so much and I was told that the VGA card was defective, and their technician needs to replace the motherboard.

Do I have a case here? I would think that a company is responsible if there product is defective. I live in California. My product is a year and 5 month out of the warranty.

Thank you.
If you were not having problems or reporting the problems to ASUS before the warranty ran out, then, yes, you owe them the money. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">