• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the federal lemon law supersede state lemon laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chilly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
From Illinois
My wife owns a new vehicle that has had nothing but issues. The vehicle is 2 years old and still under the manufaturers warranty. We researched the vehicle online and found that there are quite a few people experiencing the same types of issues that we are having. The issues that we are having are big safety concerns for me regarding my wife and daughter. We have brought it into the dealer with no resolution because the dealer says that it cannot duplicate the issues and when they do, the codes coming back from the computer are nonsense codes and so there are no fixes that they can perform. The problems that we are having are related to the airbags and the electronics of the car and the fact that sometimes it just doesn't start. Other issues that we found during our research that seem to also tie into the computer of the car is complete system shutdown while driving (no brakes, steering, gas), failure for airbags to deploy, failure for car to sense when someone is in the passenger seat to enable the pasenger side airbag. I feel that I have some legitimate safety concerns that I'm afaird that I won't be able to pursue based on Illinois state law. Can you advise me on what we need to do to get this resolved?

Thanks

Last edited:

Chilly

This is all that I could find

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and The Uniform Commercial Code. I don't know if these qualify as "lemon laws", and that I guess is also part of my question. I was looking at one website that states that there is a federal lemon law, but I'm having trouble finding it. The website that I found my information also list all of the states different requirements to their lemon laws.

Lemon Law Summaries for each of the 50 States

Thanks again for any help that you can give me.

msiron

I doubt you will get or find any relief.

My wife owns a new vehicle that has had nothing but issues. The vehicle is 2 years old and still under the manufacturers warranty.
It is NOT new anymore.

We researched the vehicle online and found that there are quite a few people experiencing the same types of issues that we are having.
Means nothing, possibly a recall is imminent to fix any issue deemed needed by the manufacturer.

The issues that we are having are big safety concerns for me regarding my wife and daughter.
Concerns mean NOTHING.

We have brought it into the dealer with no resolution because the dealer says that it cannot duplicate the issues and when they do, the codes coming back from the computer are nonsense codes and so there are no fixes that they can perform.
Intermittent problems are sometimes hard to pin down and there are no such things as nonsense codes. Every code means something. What are the codes?

The problems that we are having are related to the airbags and the electronics of the car and the fact that sometimes it just doesn't start.
This is not a safety issue.

Other issues that we found during our research that seem to also tie into the computer of the car is complete system shutdown while driving (no brakes, steering, gas), failure for airbags to deploy, failure for car to sense when someone is in the passenger seat to enable the passenger side airbag.
A perceived issue that someone else may have had, which have NOT happened to you means nothing.

I feel that I have some legitimate safety concerns that I'm afraid that I won't be able to pursue based on Illinois state law.
Concerns mean nothing.

Can you advise me on what we need to do to get this resolved?
Sell your car and buy a new one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">