• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Previous Owner have to Pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandman721

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently bought a used car in Riverside, California from a private party. I asked everything about the car and received assurances it was in good, running condition, had not had any accidents, etc. Then, I took it to the dealer to get a hubcap, and discovered the owner had put two 14" wheels on the car's 15" wheel base. This caused the bearings in the rear drum cylinder to break and I was required to replace rear drum and two wheels/tires to the tune of about $500.00. Can I send the previous owner the bill?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I recently bought a used car in Riverside, California from a private party. I asked everything about the car and received assurances it was in good, running condition, had not had any accidents, etc. Then, I took it to the dealer to get a hubcap, and discovered the owner had put two 14" wheels on the car's 15" wheel base. This caused the bearings in the rear drum cylinder to break and I was required to replace rear drum and two wheels/tires to the tune of about $500.00. Can I send the previous owner the bill?
Sure you can -
But he's under absolutely not obligation to pay it.

PS: The dealer's taking you for a ride. The brakes would NOT be damaged by the wheels being smaller than stock. And, there are no "bearings" in the rear drum cylinders...

Antigone*

Nope, enjoy your new car:cool:

xylene

Sure you can -
But he's under absolutely not obligation to pay it.

PS: The dealer's taking you for a ride. The brakes would NOT be damaged by the wheels being smaller than stock. And, there are no "bearings" in the rear drum cylinders...
There may be no ball bearings, but their is most definitely a hub bearing of one type or another.

But neither they nor the brakes would be damages by fitting smaller than stock rims.

Kiawah

But neither they nor the brakes would be damages by fitting smaller than stock rims.
Unless of course that the decreased clearance between the brake parts and the rim caused the rim to rub against some of the brake or suspension parts.

justalayman

Unless of course that the decreased clearance between the brake parts and the rim caused the rim to rub against some of the brake or suspension parts.
the drum rotates with the wheel so it would be impossible for it to rub. The brake parts are inside the drum so again, it would be impossible for them to be rubbed by an undersized wheel.

and there was never a claim concerning the suspension parts but the diameter of the rim is not going to cause anything to rub there either.

CraigFL

I suspect that what the OP is trying to explain is that the dealer said the rear wheels had a greater offset which could cause premature wearing of the bearings. Hard to prove...

justalayman

I suspect that what the OP is trying to explain is that the dealer said the rear wheels had a greater offset which could cause premature wearing of the bearings. Hard to prove...
doesn't make any difference if it could be proven or not. Seller would still not be liable. Buyer bought the car as is and lives with whatever problems could come from any modifications.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">