• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garage sale purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiesha mcneal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? louisiana
I purchased a painting at a garage sale for $2. recently discovered it to be authentic famous painting. just served by marshalls of sequestration order and am being sued by previous owner. the marshalls took painting from me with a court order. isnt this against the law?

JETX

I purchased a painting at a garage sale for $2. recently discovered it to be authentic famous painting. just served by marshalls of sequestration order and am being sued by previous owner. the marshalls took painting from me with a court order. isnt this against the law?
Nope.
Next question??

MathFanatic09

Out of curiosity, why is that? Someone messed up here, and it was the seller. Because of not recognizing the value of the work prior to selling, can the dealer void the contract that was imposed during the transaction?

Mass_Shyster

Out of curiosity, why is that? Someone messed up here, and it was the seller. Because of not recognizing the value of the work prior to selling, can the dealer void the contract that was imposed during the transaction?
The original question was "the marshalls took painting from me with a court order. isn't this against the law?" If they have a court order, it's legal.

The unasked question is "Will they get to keep the painting?". I have no understanding of Roman Law, so won't even venture a guess at the answer.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? louisiana
how did you discover it was authentic? How did the marshalls know you had it? Were you trying to sell it?

I don't understand how they could take it from you unless it belonged to a museum and had been stolen. What famous painting was it? I'd be mad if I were you.

sequestration order is confusing... i am looking it up and if someone has a simpler definition, help me out... i have never heard of it before.

justalayman

SEQUESTRATION, Louisiana practice. The Code of Practice in civil cases in Louisiana, defines and makes the following provisions on the subject of sequestration. Art. 269. Sequestration is a mandate of the court, ordering the sheriff, in certain cases, to take in his possession, and to keep a thing of which another person has the possession, until after the decision of a suit, in order that it be delivered to him who shall be adjudged entitled to have the property or possession of that thing. This is what is properly called a judicial sequestration. Vide 1 Mart. R. 79; 1 L. R. 439; Civil Code of Lo. 2941; 2948.
it is where the police or whomever takes the property and holds it until the legal question involved is answered.

thanks a lot justlayaman! :) i can't give the man advice on this topic, but this sure is interesting.... i wish the OP would give us a little more detail.

Is the person who sold the painting to you the one the sequestor order was issued for or is there another person trying to claim it? How much is it worth?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">