• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Greedy Grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kirstie39

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

SORRY TO BOTHER YOU, I AM IN NEED OF SOME ADVISE FOR MY SON. HE IS 19 YEARS OLD.. HIS GRANDMOTHER ON HIS DAD SIDE SOLD HIM A CAR FOR 2K. 1999 OLDSMOBILE INTRIQUE. THIS CARE IS IN HORRIBLE SHAPE, NO AC, NO RADIO, BIG DENT PASS DRIVER SIDE DOOR, RUST, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON, ALL FLUIDS WERE LOW, TAIL LIGHTS OUT, HEADLIGHTS OUT, POOR SHAPE ALL AROUND AND UNSAFE. KELLEY BLUE BOOK VALUE IS ONLY WORTH 749.00. MY SON DID SIGHN A CONTRACT ON A LIL PIECE OF SCRAP PAPER. HE HAS ALREADY GIVEN HIS GRANDMOTHER ROUGHLY 780.00. THIS CAR IS NOW IN HIS NAME AS OF MONDAY, THE TRADE WAS ALSO MADE MONDAY 7*15*13. HIS FATHER IS NOW TRYING TO CHARGE INTEREST ONTO THE PAYMENTS OF 20%. MY SON DID NOT AGREE TO THIS, SO HIS FATHER OPEN HANDED HIT HIM HARD! TWICE IN THE SIDE OF THE HEAD. MY SON LEFT THE PROPERTY IMMEDIATLY. KELLEY BLUE BOOK IS PROOF SHE PRICE GOUGED HIM, AND HER GRANDSON AT THAT WITH A VERY UNSAFE VEHICLE. IS THERE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ACTION THAT CAN BE TAKEN?
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

SORRY TO BOTHER YOU, I AM IN NEED OF SOME ADVISE FOR MY SON. HE IS 19 YEARS OLD.. HIS GRANDMOTHER ON HIS DAD SIDE SOLD HIM A CAR FOR 2K. 1999 OLDSMOBILE INTRIQUE. THIS CARE IS IN HORRIBLE SHAPE, NO AC, NO RADIO, BIG DENT PASS DRIVER SIDE DOOR, RUST, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON, ALL FLUIDS WERE LOW, TAIL LIGHTS OUT, HEADLIGHTS OUT, POOR SHAPE ALL AROUND AND UNSAFE. KELLEY BLUE BOOK VALUE IS ONLY WORTH 749.00. MY SON DID SIGHN A CONTRACT ON A LIL PIECE OF SCRAP PAPER. HE HAS ALREADY GIVEN HIS GRANDMOTHER ROUGHLY 780.00. THIS CAR IS NOW IN HIS NAME AS OF MONDAY, THE TRADE WAS ALSO MADE MONDAY 7*15*13. HIS FATHER IS NOW TRYING TO CHARGE INTEREST ONTO THE PAYMENTS OF 20%. MY SON DID NOT AGREE TO THIS, SO HIS FATHER OPEN HANDED HIT HIM HARD! TWICE IN THE SIDE OF THE HEAD. MY SON LEFT THE PROPERTY IMMEDIATLY. KELLEY BLUE BOOK IS PROOF SHE PRICE GOUGED HIM, AND HER GRANDSON AT THAT WITH A VERY UNSAFE VEHICLE. IS THERE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ACTION THAT CAN BE TAKEN?
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
Your adult son will need to abide by the contract he willingly entered in to.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
Junior could have called the cops about Dad hitting him. The rest? A learning experience. :cool:

swalsh411

First of all stop typing in all caps. It's considering shouting.

Secondly you have two issues here. Your son can report the assault to the police if he chooses. It sounds like it's his car now. If he doesn't pay he can be sued and may or may not lose depending on what this "contract" says.

Thirdly, you should let your adult son handle his own issues. And next time he buys a car he should take it to a mechanic.

Fourthly, this is a really screwed up family with way more problems than a junky car.

Kirstie39

It's ashame

It's ashame that his family , that is "suppose" to love him and have his best interest at heart would treat him this way. As his mother makes me very angry... Maybe they will loose that lil paper he signed. Wasn't witnessed by any legal authority..

Kirstie39

sorry for caps, not really yelling

Appreciate all the feedback. My son is young, doesn't think things through, suffers from ADHD so everything is very spontaneous. Yes that family has a lot of issues.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It's ashame that his family , that is "suppose" to love him and have his best interest at heart would treat him this way. As his mother makes me very angry... Maybe they will loose that lil paper he signed. Wasn't witnessed by any legal authority..
And if they lose the paper -- is your son going to lie about signing a contract? If so, that says a lot about his character or lack thereof.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He made a bad deal. He should have researched better before buying the car. He owes the money. He can file a complaint against his father for assault.
YOU can do NOTHING.

Kirstie39

frustration

Just frustration speaking right now is all, venting... thanks for listening
he's had the car since Monday**************.. all these issues, thing that bothers me the most is this is his family who treated him like this.... I would never do this to my family....

swalsh411

Well, a Judge in small claims court can rule that a contract is so one-sided that it is void. Not saying that would happen here but it's not completely outside the realm of possibility.

Kirstie39

principal of it all

It's the principal of it all..... integrity, trust, honor, loyalty all the things good we taught our son.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's the principal of it all..... integrity, trust, honor, loyalty all the things good we taught our son.
As an adult, he'll need to use all of these things as he explores his options. Time to cut the apron strings...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">