• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zhakseit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently bought a 2001 Daewoo Laganza for my elder parents from a dealer in Florida. The car was posted online and the dealer assured me that the car was in great condition; very clean, never been in an accident, only had minor scratches on the body. However, upon getting a loan from the bank and paying for the car in full $2495 (standard price for that make and model in good condition), and paying another $450 to have it shipped to Virginia, I discovered that the car had been flooded. The damage is hard to ignore, to say the least. The vinyl on the doors and the dash board is clearly deformed due to it being submerged in water. Furthermore, within minutes of driving it, the check engine, and oil light came on. In addition, the car does not shift properly- it jerks. I understand I bought the car AS IS, but this is very unfair. This was for my parents to have less of a headache and instead it has created a whole new set of problems.
Please help. What can I do? The dealer is still insisting that the car was in 'perfect' condition when it left him, meaning the check engine light was NEVER on, (he also claims that it has NEVER been flooded, and that the carfax report confirms it), which is just insulting!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How could the pre-purchase vehicle inspector that you contracted miss this?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently bought a 2001 Daewoo Laganza for my elder parents from a dealer in Florida. The car was posted online and the dealer assured me that the car was in great condition; very clean, never been in an accident, only had minor scratches on the body. However, upon getting a loan from the bank and paying for the car in full $2495 (standard price for that make and model in good condition), and paying another $450 to have it shipped to Virginia, I discovered that the car had been flooded. The damage is hard to ignore, to say the least. The vinyl on the doors and the dash board is clearly deformed due to it being submerged in water. Furthermore, within minutes of driving it, the check engine, and oil light came on. In addition, the car does not shift properly- it jerks. I understand I bought the car AS IS, but this is very unfair. This was for my parents to have less of a headache and instead it has created a whole new set of problems.
Please help. What can I do? The dealer is still insisting that the car was in 'perfect' condition when it left him, meaning the check engine light was NEVER on, (he also claims that it has NEVER been flooded, and that the carfax report confirms it), which is just insulting!

WaltinPA

What online resource did you find the car on, i.e., hopefully one like Ebay Motors or Auto Trader? Contact them and ask for assistance. Advise the seller that you intend to file negative feedback on the transaction. Good luck as you are probably stuck with a very costly lesson.

zhakseit

Thank you for your replies.

First, I did not contact an inspector... big mistake. My fiance, who was not involved in the process, was pretty upset with me as well... I understand I should have contact someone in that area.

Second, I found the car on Yahoo Autos and don't think there's a way to post a negative feedback about the seller.

The car CLEARLY is not worth as much as I paid for it and the title is clear, but if it's been flooded, I'm not sure as to how that would work... any other suggestions? any other way of getting at least half of my money back since I will have to make so many repairs?

Zigner

Thank you for your replies.

First, I did not contact an inspector... big mistake. My fiance, who was not involved in the process, was pretty upset with me as well... I understand I should have contact someone in that area.

Second, I found the car on Yahoo Autos and don't think there's a way to post a negative feedback about the seller.

The car CLEARLY is not worth as much as I paid for it and the title is clear, but if it's been flooded, I'm not sure as to how that would work... any other suggestions? any other way of getting at least half of my money back since I will have to make so many repairs?
You HONESTLY think you'll make a "reliable car" out of that car for $1,300? Really?

If you want to sue, you'll need to make the trip on down to FL.

racer72

I recently bought a 2001 Daewoo Laganza
This was your first mistake. Consumer reports rated these cars as unacceptable when they were new and they are bigger piles of crap as a used car. If the car was flooded and subject to an insurance claim, it will have a branded title and would very likely be shown as such on a Carfax report.

swalsh411

All Daewoos sold in this country are, with the possible exception of earlier Kia and Hyundai models, bar none the WORST used cars to buy. I don't think any of their models have ever received a satisfactory grade from consumer reports or edmunds. This fact, combined with paying $500 to have one shipped from FL to VA really shows that either you are unqualified to be buying a used car or that you did zero homework. For that price you could have found a local inspected corolla, civic, sentra, or protege that would be a fine reliable used car. I really don't like placing all the blame on the OP but in this case I think it's justified.

zhakseit

I do realize I made a HUGE mistake... but the title IS CLEAR. When I spoke with the dealer, on several occasions, even after it was delivered, he insisted on the car being in great condition and never having been in an accident. I'm a girl... and this is the first car I've had to buy on my own. I've sold cars for my parents in the past and was very honest with all the buyers or those interested... I guess I expected the same kind of honesty from other dealers... obviously, I made a huge mistake. Is there REALLY NOTHING at all I can do about it?

Zigner

I do realize I made a HUGE mistake... but the title IS CLEAR. When I spoke with the dealer, on several occasions, even after it was delivered, he insisted on the car being in great condition and never having been in an accident. I'm a girl... and this is the first car I've had to buy on my own. I've sold cars for my parents in the past and was very honest with all the buyers or those interested... I guess I expected the same kind of honesty from other dealers... obviously, I made a huge mistake. Is there REALLY NOTHING at all I can do about it?
Enjoy the car.

(I REALLY don't buy that you've NEVER heard of a dishonest used car dealer...I mean, c'mon! I bet you can't even type that with a straight face!)

WaltinPA

Two ideas for you:

a. Get the title history researched for this vehicle. It is possible the seller 'laundered' the title so he could sell this thing. My father had this done several years ago (he lives in PA & bought out of state car that had been flooded & cleaned up. When he discovered the truth, he confronted the seller (a dealer) and threatened to report to authorities. An auto insurance agent may be able to access this information.

b. Wait for one of those 'drive/drag/tow your trade in for $xxxx' and get rid of this clunker. You won't have any room to negotiate but **************....

zhakseit

Thank you! I'll check to see if the title was laundered. And already talked to someone about taking it to the auction to get at least something back on it if nothing else works...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">