• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marierobinson24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I have been working for a woman for 5 years. Recently my car messed up so she agreed to purchase a car for me and I would make payments of $200 a month I have completely kept up my agreement. Well now I no longer work for her due to personal and financial reasons. She called this morning and said she wants her car at her house by noon my car is in her name and everything! I called the local police department they said she could not do this!! How do I go about getting my car out of her name!! Please help!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I have been working for a woman for 5 years. Recently my car messed up so she agreed to purchase a car for me and I would make payments of $200 a month I have completely kept up my agreement. Well now I no longer work for her due to personal and financial reasons. She called this morning and said she wants her car at her house by noon my car is in her name and everything! I called the local police department they said she could not do this!! How do I go about getting my car out of her name!! Please help!!
The easiest way to get the car in your name would be to pay her in full, although, I suspect that you can't afford to do that right now. Do you have a written agreement? Are you presently behind on payments?

Proserpina

If that car is hers legally, she absolutely has the right to retrieve it.

Zigner

If that car is hers legally, she absolutely has the right to retrieve it.
Not so fast there...

If she has "sold" the car to the guy and is accepting payments, then she doesn't have the right to just go retrieve it.

Proserpina

Not so fast there...

If she has "sold" the car to the guy and is accepting payments, then she doesn't have the right to just go retrieve it.
I said if she legally owns the car ...

At the moment ownership isn't clear. Hence the "if". :p

(I was trying to emphasize that the police aren't often the best at discerning niggly little legal details)

(or something)

Zigner

I said if she legally owns the car ...

At the moment ownership isn't clear. Hence the "if". :p

(I was trying to emphasize that the police aren't often the best at discerning niggly little legal details)

(or something)
I interpreted it differently. Legal ownership usually means the ownership showing on the title. She could show as the "legal" owner, but not be "allowed" to just retrieve the car.

Marierobinson24

Yes I am currently up to date with everything And we had a dispute so she text me today and said to have the car at her house by noon or she was reporting it stolen we do have a contract but it's in her possession and has never been signed the only thing I have is receipts that clearly state car with her signature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">