• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP- car broke down 6hours after purchase (Lou, KY)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melyssa72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisville, KY

My daughter purchased a car yesterday at a car lot. They assured everything was okay with the car. 6 hours later it was broke down in the middle of the highway. It overheated, smoked, died, and wouldn't start again. We had to tow it back home. Now what do we do? Do we have any rights? Where do we go from here? Any help and advice would be deeply appreciated.

The car lot ran a credit report on my daughter. Then agreed to let her put down 500.00 (that we scrapped together) and let her make payments of 55.00 a week. The car is a 1995 Saturn SL.

Last edited:

melyssa72

We haven't been able to talk to the dealer as of yet. Its a holiday and they don't open again until Tuesday. I was just trying to get some information or resources so I'd know a little about what I am dealing with... The agreement was if she had any problems to come in and they'd see what they could do.. Also that after she paid off this note she could always come in and upgrade, trading in the current car, get a newer one and still keep the same payments each week. He told us there was nothing wrong with the car. The only thing he told us was that it had an oil change and in 3 months we would need to get another. He told her that it should do great for her and be a dependable little car. That's about it really.

By the way this was a purchase from an Independent Auto Dealer. Slogan is "WE TOTE THE NOTE, THE CREDIT REBUILDERS". Jeff Harvey Sales, Inc.
Louisville's Oldest Independent Auto Dealer
Since 1939
3501 S. Seventh Street
Lou, KY 40216

Last edited:

DRTDEVL

Google assignment:

1. Caveat Emptor.

2. KY Warranty Laws.

Next, take the lesson inherent in this situation and ALWAYS have an independent mechanic inspect prior to purchase.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisville, KY

My daughter purchased a car yesterday at a car lot. They assured everything was okay with the car. 6 hours later it was broke down in the middle of the highway. It overheated, smoked, died, and wouldn't start again. We had to tow it back home. Now what do we do? Do we have any rights? Where do we go from here? Any help and advice would be deeply appreciated.

The car lot ran a credit report on my daughter. Then agreed to let her put down 500.00 (that we scrapped together) and let her make payments of 55.00 a week. The car is a 1995 Saturn SL.
What did the mechanic (who looked at the car before she purchased it) say? Did he advise buying the vehicle? If she did not have an independent mechanic look at the used car before she purchased it, she is out of luck. She will need to continue to make the weekly payments until she fulfills the contract.

One should always have a mechanic look at a used car before purchasing, especially one that is sold as is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">