• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with car dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wellsbeardog

California Small Claims

Hi i am new here and i have a problem, i am suing a used dealer in small claims, for repairs. I was misled into thinking this car was a sound, good car for my wife to drive, i was told that the car had a good transmission, motor and clutch. I later found out the hard way (3 weeks later) that the transmission has a bad synchromesh, clutch was worn out, starter quit, brakes bad, struts bad. all within 3 weeks. now do i have a chance of winning the case? please reply soon.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Wellsbeardog said:
California Small Claims

Hi i am new here and i have a problem, i am suing a used dealer in small claims, for repairs. I was misled into thinking this car was a sound, good car for my wife to drive, i was told that the car had a good transmission, motor and clutch. I later found out the hard way (3 weeks later) that the transmission has a bad synchromesh, clutch was worn out, starter quit, brakes bad, struts bad. all within 3 weeks. now do i have a chance of winning the case? please reply soon.

My response:

More than likely, no.

If you bought the vehicle from a dealer, there was a sticker on the window that said, "As-is, no warranty". You had a duty to yourself to ask the dealer if you could have the vehicle inspected by your own mechanic BEFORE you signed on the dotted line. So, this sale is not only controlled by the "As-Is" sticker, but also by the legal concept called "Caveat Emptor" - - "Buyer Beware".

The judge will tell you, "Sorry, but you bought a car. Judgment for Defendant car dealer."

IAAL

W

Wellsbeardog

There was a warranty, but it did not cover those problems, only the starter for half, and there was no sticker that said as-is. also what exactly does the lemon law uphold? is it only for brand new cars? or used cars as well?

Last edited:
W

Wellsbeardog

without tax and licenses-$5700.00,

but i am suing for $2500 for repairs only.

N

national

It took you 3 weeks to find out the struts were bad? The clutch is most likely from a new person or even worse a woman driving it & slipping it..AS-IS means AS-IS..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">