• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help. moisture healight

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrisjs82

Hi I have a question regarding automotive factory defect. I purchased a used car, which is lexus IS 350 2007 model 11months ago. The factory warranty expired but I still have the extended warranty. The headlight on the passenger side have a condensation problem. Because of that problem, the headlight is out now. I called Lexus consumer satisfaction center and stated the problem. They said my problem doesn't get covered under extended warranty but only factory warranty.They said they can only cover for the part, and I have to cover for the labor which will cost me about 500 dollars approximately. I think it's not right because even the dealership stated that it is a manufacturer defect. I would like to know if there is certain period for compensating the damage for manufacturer defect.

Thank you

Antigone*

Hi I have a question regarding automotive factory defect. I purchased a used car, which is lexus IS 350 2007 model 11months ago. The factory warranty expired but I still have the extended warranty. The headlight on the passenger side have a condensation problem. Because of that problem, the headlight is out now. I called Lexus consumer satisfaction center and stated the problem. They said my problem doesn't get covered under extended warranty but only factory warranty.They said they can only cover for the part, and I have to cover for the labor which will cost me about 500 dollars approximately. I think it's not right because even the dealership stated that it is a manufacturer defect. I would like to know if there is certain period for compensating the damage for manufacturer defect.

Thank you
The car is out of warranty. End of story

The simple cure is to drill a small 1/4" hole in the bottom or back of the light sheild so that it will let out the condisation instead of allowing it to build up.

justalayman

then take a couple hundred thousand dollars and sue Toyota to try to get that $500 bill paid.

Water in a headlight can come from causes not due to a manufacturers defect. If you can prove it was only caused by a manufacturers defect, you might actually win. Since you can't, I suspect you will lose.

you should report this to the NHTSA though as it is a safety issue.

chrisjs82

then take a couple hundred thousand dollars and sue Toyota to try to get that $500 bill paid.

Water in a headlight can come from causes not due to a manufacturers defect. If you can prove it was only caused by a manufacturers defect, you might actually win. Since you can't, I suspect you will lose.

you should report this to the NHTSA though as it is a safety issue.
I understand but it is known to be manufacturer defect.
Lexus RX Defective Headlight Class Action

The link is for Lexus Rx class action. Many Rx are having and suffering from the same problem.
And it's not only the headlight itself, but the water seeped into and damage the ballast and the ECU as well. That's what the dealership said.

justalayman

I understand but it is known to be manufacturer defect.
No. It is a claimed manufacturer's defect. That is why Toyota is being sued by the RX owners. Until they win, it is only a claim.

as you see, those people are suing to try to prove Toyota should fix the problem. If you want to make Toyota fix the problem and they are not willing to do so without suing them, then you are going to have to do the same thing the people with RX's are doing.

There might be some spill over benefits if the RX people win if somebody can prove the problem with the IS headlights is due to the same engineering problem. Other than that, get out your money and file a suit. Until you prove it is a defect, apparently Toyota is going to argue it isn't.

Until that time, you should register a complaint with the NHTSA. It helps build support for a claim this problem should be remedied by the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Dave1952

What's gone bad and where's the leak? The light bulb for that car is less than $10 and comes with an O-ring. Will replacing the bulb and O-ring fix your problem?

Good luck

justalayman

What's gone bad and where's the leak? The light bulb for that car is less than $10 and comes with an O-ring. Will replacing the bulb and O-ring fix your problem?

Good luck
read what was written:

And it's not only the headlight itself, but the water seeped into and damage the ballast and the ECU as well. T
No. it's not a $10 headlight. It is at least several hundred dollars in parts.

Dave1952

Sorry, I must be missing it. What part has gone bad and where's the leak? All I see is mention of some condensation in the headlight and that the light is not working.

Good luck

justalayman

post 6
And it's not only the headlight itself, but the water seeped into and damage the ballast and the ECU as well.
I haven't priced the parts for this car but the last HID system I saw as optional equipment was a $1700 up charge. The guy just got at least half that system wiped out.

chrisjs82

post 6

I haven't priced the parts for this car but the last HID system I saw as optional equipment was a $1700 up charge. The guy just got at least half that system wiped out.
Yeah. along with the ballast and the ECU, it came out to be $1500, approximately. This is messed up. I just talked to the Lexus customer satisfaction center. They said they can cover up to $1000 but it's not enough since both sides get condensate and to fix one side is around $1500.

When I said "isn't this a manufacturer defect?" they said "Yeah, that is a manufacturer defect, but since your out of warranty, it doesn't cover."

that doesn't make any sense. right?

Dave1952

I'm still not getting it guys. The OP has a problem with condensation appearing in his headlamp assembly. He feels that this condensation is a manufacturer's defect. The headlight assembly is where the light bulbs go. The light bulb has an O-ring as a weather seal. This would be an obvious place to suspect a moisture leak, would be a cheap fix, and not a manufacturer's defect.
Are the ballast or an ECU located inside the headlamp assembly? Why are we talking about the ballast and ECU?

Good luck

CraigFL

Dave... you need to google High Intensity Discharge lamps to see why these are so expensive. I've seen some in the $5000 range.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">