• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i paid 8,840 for a car and 10 days later the engine went i need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nelsonu1987

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennselvinia but I'm from ny

I purchased a car in p.a for $8,840, I'm from brooklyn.the car came with a service contract 90 days or 1,000 miles, 50% for any repairs for anything that's covered, will 1 week later the engine started making rattle noises, I took it to a garage he's conected with here in brooklyn, the macanic told me and the dealer that the car needs a new engine, and I have to pay half of any repairs, but I feel like the car was already like that when I got it and I think the dealer knew about the problem, he told me to take the car to him in p.a because the macanic in brooklyn gave a high esimate for a new engine and labor, and the car dealer said he could get it done for cheaper out there in p.a. well on my way to p.a the car broke down on the jerzey trunpike, very scary might I add. I had the car towed to a garage he told me the work was ganna be done at.its been now 2 weeks and still hasent put another engine, he keeps on telling me its on its way. But I feel like I shouldn't have to pay half its almost 2,000 my part, what can I do. I need help

Kiawah

what can I do
You can pay your half of the repair, as specified by the warranty contract that you have.

Used car purchases are as-is, and you should have had it inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase, which 'may' have identified that the vehicle had a problem.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennselvinia but I'm from ny

I purchased a car in p.a for $8,840, I'm from brooklyn.the car came with a service contract 90 days or 1,000 miles, 50% for any repairs for anything that's covered, will 1 week later the engine started making rattle noises, I took it to a garage he's conected with here in brooklyn, the macanic told me and the dealer that the car needs a new engine, and I have to pay half of any repairs, but I feel like the car was already like that when I got it and I think the dealer knew about the problem, he told me to take the car to him in p.a because the macanic in brooklyn gave a high esimate for a new engine and labor, and the car dealer said he could get it done for cheaper out there in p.a. well on my way to p.a the car broke down on the jerzey trunpike, very scary might I add. I had the car towed to a garage he told me the work was ganna be done at.its been now 2 weeks and still hasent put another engine, he keeps on telling me its on its way. But I feel like I shouldn't have to pay half its almost 2,000 my part, what can I do. I need help
Just about every used car sale is considered an AS-IS sale if the seller offers no written warranty of fitness or condition. In your case, the vehicle did come with some kind of service contract, along with an agreement that if any repairs were needed that fell under that contract, that you would pay 50% of the cost of those repairs. That's great, but you STILL had the responsibility of verifying the vehicle's condition before you completed that purchase, because even with that service contract, you would STILL be liable for 50% of the cost to repair. Had you had your own mechanic inspect the vehicle, you would have had a better idea of exactly what shape that vehicle was in, and you could have known that there was such a severe issue with the engine that it would require replacement after such a short time.

You're absolutely right - 50% of an expensive engine replacement is a really bad issue to come up on a new purchase, but this could have been avoided had you exercised due diligence and checked that car out more thoroughly before you bought it. You agreed to buy the car exactly as you found it, AND you agreed to pay for 50% of those repairs. As I see it, you have two choices - either pay for the vehicle and DON'T have the engine replaced, or pay your share for the engine repairs. Like it or not, getting a brand new engine for free is NOT an option. An expensive lesson to learn, and perhaps you will know better what to do next time a situation like this comes up.

nelsonu1987

thank you

Thanks for your replay I did learn my lesson, its my first time buyin a car I'm 24, o and it wasent a private sale it was froma dealership dose that make any deffence

Mass_Shyster

Get a second opinion as to the trouble, and get some quotes on replacing the engine.

My son is presently having an engine put into his 1999 Toyota Corolla. The estimate is $1500 total. This is a used engine.

sandyclaus

Thanks for your replay I did learn my lesson, its my first time buyin a car I'm 24, o and it wasent a private sale it was froma dealership dose that make any deffence
It might. Did the warranty you signed say ANYTHING about the condition of the vehicle? Did the dealership make any written representation about the fitness of the vehicle at all? They key here is that if they represented the vehicle to be in good condition, fit for the purpose for which it was purchased, then you may have a leg to stand on. Otherwise, you are in the same boat, whether it was a private seller or dealership sale.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It might. Did the warranty you signed say ANYTHING about the condition of the vehicle? Did the dealership make any written representation about the fitness of the vehicle at all? They key here is that if they represented the vehicle to be in good condition, fit for the purpose for which it was purchased, then you may have a leg to stand on. Otherwise, you are in the same boat, whether it was a private seller or dealership sale.
Stop throwing out red herrings :rolleyes:
The car was fine...then it broke down. The OP has a warranty for just such an eventuality.

You can pay your half of the repair, as specified by the warranty contract that you have.

Used car purchases are as-is, and you should have had it inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase, which 'may' have identified that the vehicle had a problem.
Depends on the state. Indiana has a lemon law that applies to used vehicles.

You're lucky you got any warranty covering anything at all on a used car. The warranty said 50% of repairs for 1,000 miles or 90 days, and that's what you're going to get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">