• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I signed the papers but didn't take delivery can I cancel now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flnsx

I bought a used car for my wife today. I signed all the papers but did not take delivery of the car.

I didn’t put down any deposit.

Can I call them tomorrow and cancel?

We traded her old car too. That car is still in our possession as well.

Can you guys help me on this one?

I am in Florida.

BelizeBreeze

Of course you can refuse to turn over the trade-in and refuse to take possession of the car you purchased.

And of course the dealership can sue you for breech of contract.

teflon_jones

Is this a dealer sale? If so, until you take possession of the vehicle the sale is not completed. Simply refuse to take delivery of it.

From your description of events, especially the fact that you didn't take delivery of the vehicle, you are OK. Be aware that some dealerships will have you drive the car off the lot onto a public street AFTER the paperwork was completed (test drives DON'T count) and return it, if, for example, they were going to complete some work on the car. Just driving the front wheels onto a public street is arguably a "delivery", even if the car were immediately returned to the lot, and the contract could be fully enforceable.

If you didn't drive the car off the lot after the paperwork was completed, the dealer is just blustering. Teflon is 100% correct, and circle takes the square!

PS If the dealer sues, which they won't (if you didn't take delivery), you will win. Belize is probably thinking about something else.

Last edited:

Bennie

Can't afford vehicle, California

I live in California, I purchased a 1999 suburnban for $14000 about a month and a half ago, things didn't work out, I could not afford to make the first payment. So dealership found another company to finaince me and I couldn't make the first payment with that company. I put 2000 down, I am in the military currently training in the field unable to take the car back until the 23rd. Will they sue for amount sold for. I have no idea what to do.

moburkes

Bennie said:
I live in California, I purchased a 1999 suburnban for $14000 about a month and a half ago, things didn't work out, I could not afford to make the first payment. So dealership found another company to finaince me and I couldn't make the first payment with that company. I put 2000 down, I am in the military currently training in the field unable to take the car back until the 23rd. Will they sue for amount sold for. I have no idea what to do.
Please start a new thread for your question.

ENASNI

Bennie said:
I have no clue on how to work this site.
No prob Bennie. Go back to to the beginning where you found Lemon law and it says on the top left in Brown" post new Message. Then Cut and paste what you put here in a new thread and then come back here and delete this or either preface that one as being NOT a duplicate thread or that you are a newbie. You may get help here or you may get some buttcheese answers. I have to say this used to be a great site, but sometimes It is hard to say.

Good luck and I am sorry I know nothing of lemon law, I just know someone in your predicament and wanted to know the answer too.

Good luck and may the force be with you. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">