• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I sold car with a salvage title, buyer is taking be to court for repairs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monopolizer

What is the name of your state? California

I bought a car that had a salvage title, the owner told me it was hail damage and has been repainted along with the replacing of the hood and fenders. I sold the car a week later because I was moving across country: the spouse I decided not to keep it.

I type up a paper saying the car was sold as is, also stating that the buyer inspected it and it had a salvage title. The buyer signed both copies; one for each of us. I told the buyer that the car had been repainted and had hail damage as was told to me. I told them before I they drove it that from what I found, it was pulling and may need alignment. I sold it for almost half price of what the retail value was. Three days later they wanted their money back and said their mechanic said the fram was bent due to a collision. I was not aware of this when I sold it. They are taking me to court for repairs of over $3k.

I'm am looking to countersue for travel and lodging expenses If I attend.

Do I have to appear in court if I'm 2000 miles away? Could I write a letter to the judge along w/ the copy of the agreement they signed? What do you think the outcome of the case would be?

djohnson

You need to show up to represent your interests. If not you could automatically lose. I think if you go to court you will win. They should have had it checked before purchasing. You have the as is contract. They have nothing. Are you sure they are really going to file and not just bluffing?

keebler85

What if

what happens if you are sold a car that never should have passed inspection. the dealer takes it to a inspection place that he knows will pass it. What can i do? it is a unsafe car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">