• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i sold a car without a smog certificate and it didnt pass the smog test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tommm2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
I sold my car without a smog certificate. The car was not in operating condition. The buyer was aware of that and had to get a tow truck to get the car. To my knowledge the car had only the timing belt damaged before i sold it. Now the buyer is calling me telling me it has more damage than what i had mentioned. Thing is i told him i knew nothing about cars and i told him i thought the timing belt was broken. He bought the car without getting it checked himself so i feel he is responsible for all the repairs. I read that in california i can't sell a car without passing the smog, but i sold it in non-operating condition. He is saying that he wants to take me to court now? what are my options

Astrolink

I can tell you what probably happened. He bought the car thinking he could change the timing belt to fix it. Most cars today have what is called an interference motor. When the timing belt breaks, the valves hit the pistons, ruining the engine. Did you write a bill of sale along with the title that states the car is for parts only?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">