• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was sold a lemon!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHIVAKAT

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. I need to know if the Ohio lemon law applies to private sales as well as dealers, and what options do I have if the seller refuses to refund a reasonable amount of the money I paid.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Google is your friend: Lemon Law Brochure

It does not appear to apply to used cars. If you'd like to give more details, we *might* be able to offer some other ideas. However, private party used car purchases are usually "as-is".

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. I need to know if the Ohio lemon law applies to private sales as well as dealers, and what options do I have if the seller refuses to refund a reasonable amount of the money I paid.
For the majority of private party vehicle sales, the sales are considered AS-IS, with no warranty coverage, unless the seller specifically warrants the vehicle IN WRITING that it is mechanically sound and/or fit for a specific intended purpose. Remember that anything the seller SAYS does not count here - only what is provided IN WRITING (if it ain't in writing, it never happened).

In order to properly advise you, we need a lot more information. My questions to OP are:
  1. Why do you feel that the vehicle you received was a lemon?
  2. What is wrong with the car?
  3. Was there any WRITTEN warranty provided?
  4. (MOST IMPORTANT) Did you have the vehicle inspected by your own mechanic before completing the sale?

sandyclaus

Let me guess... You didn't take or make the time to have the vehicle inspected by your own mechanic before buying it, did you?

An informed purchase is a smart one. If you had had the vehicle inspected before purchase, then you would have known that it had problems, and its quite likely you would not have bought it (since you claim it to be a lemon).

Since it sounds like you did not have it inspected, and unless the vehicle came with an express warranty IN WRITING, then you bought it AS-IS, with all its problems (seen and unseen). The seller is under no obligation to return any money to you because of problems you should/could have found out about before buying it.

Congratulations on your purchase, and enjoy your new car!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">