• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Think I bought a LEMON....What Can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The dealer promised, albeit verbally to warrantee for 30 days the powertrain

Now the enforceability of a verbal warranty...

Plus this taping stuff...
Fair enough - I missed that before.

ETA: Whatchya bet the sales documents said "as-is, no warranty"? ;)

xylene

Fair enough - I missed that before.

ETA: Whatchya bet the sales documents said "as-is, no warranty"? ;)
It would certainly be extremely likely that they do.

BUT, if the poster has evidence that he was offered protections that supersede the standard documents, he indeed would have a good case in court. I won't go on record as saying some taped claims amount to such proof.

This poster should probably have a talk with the office of the attorney general concerning this car dealer.

New York is tough with administrative regulations and actions on used car dealers. He might not even have to win in civil court for his purchase price to be returned.

The fact that the deal has attempted to "fix" the car is evidence of some provision of warranty coverage.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
BUT, if the poster has evidence that he was offered protections that supersede the standard documents, he indeed would have a good case in court.
Not if the contract (as 99% of all vehicle contracts do) has verbiage to the effect of "This contract represents the entire agreement between the parties...".
This poster should probably have a talk with the office of the attorney general concerning this car dealer.
Can't hurt :)

The fact that the deal has attempted to "fix" the car is evidence of some provision of warranty coverage.
This I cannot agree with. To me, it's evidence of a dealer trying to make a customer happy.

xylene

Not if the contract (as 99% of all vehicle contracts do) has verbiage to the effect of "This contract represents the entire agreement between the parties...".
The AG would yank the dealers license for double dealing if they was a hint of proof that the dealer had offered contradictory sales inducements and documents.

This I cannot agree with. To me, it's evidence of a dealer trying to make a customer happy.
I would agree with this in other circumstances. In this case it is evidence of attempting to honor a warranty, a verbal warranty for which there is some evidence.

That does not change the evidentiary value of the tape, but it does correlate to it quite neatly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">