• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal to sell car knowing it is missing crash support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2000SS

I recently purchased a used car through a small dealership near my town. Car runs and drives great but like any used car there where some small issues. Everything i overlooked because it is a 12 year old car. This was fine until i went out today to install some stock replacement fog lights into the car. I removed the headlights and look down and see there is nothing there. The car is missing both the foam and the aluminum crash bar. There is nothing to protect from a head on collision besides a plastic cover. There isn't even anything there to sense if a crash happens to deploy my airbag. The car is unsafe to drive. In Michigan is it legal to sell a vehicle with safety equipment removed even though i signed an as-is?

I called the dealer and asked if he knowingly sold me an unsafe vehicle and he denied it but he quick jumped and said he would look for the parts for me. I don't know if i should trust him or not, there was a custom bracket built to support the bumper cover without the actual bumper being there and the ends of the electrical connectors for the impact sensors are covered in electrical tape. To top it off the air bag light does not come on so that means it is tuned out.

sandyclaus

I recently purchased a used car through a small dealership near my town. Car runs and drives great but like any used car there where some small issues. Everything i overlooked because it is a 12 year old car. This was fine until i went out today to install some stock replacement fog lights into the car. I removed the headlights and look down and see there is nothing there. The car is missing both the foam and the aluminum crash bar. There is nothing to protect from a head on collision besides a plastic cover. There isn't even anything there to sense if a crash happens to deploy my airbag. The car is unsafe to drive. In Michigan is it legal to sell a vehicle with safety equipment removed even though i signed an as-is?

I called the dealer and asked if he knowingly sold me an unsafe vehicle and he denied it but he quick jumped and said he would look for the parts for me. I don't know if i should trust him or not, there was a custom bracket built to support the bumper cover without the actual bumper being there and the ends of the electrical connectors for the impact sensors are covered in electrical tape. To top it off the air bag light does not come on so that means it is tuned out.
What were the results of the inspection you had your private mechanic perform on the vehicle before you bought it?

2000SS

Never mind i was quick to judge, dealer called me a few hours later saying he has all the parts i need and what time can he deliver them to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">