• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the issue with auto transmission replacement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iiieunciii

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I traveled from Tampa to Atlanta and my car transmission broke down. It was on Tuesday. So I towed my car to the local repair shop in Atlanta and ordered part with upfront payment $1000 via VISA on Tuesday and got my car fixed on Wednesday.
On my receipt, it only says "1 used transmission $935, labor $637.50" and there's no more details about transmission parts.
I picked up my car on late Thursday and drove back to Tampa that day. but the engine light came on and said "P0770" which means Shift Solenoid "E" Malfunction. So I took my car to the local repair shop in Tampa, which is my regular autoshop (TireChoice) and let them inspect my car. It turned out that the replaced transmission condition was so bad and the transmission fluid colored so dark brown and based on the TireChoice quote, the installed transmission was junk.
The TireChoice mechanic called the Atlanta mechanics to ask more information of the installed transmission, but they didn't get any information including its manufacturer, mileage, etc. Tirechoice claimed either a payback to me against Atlanta mechanics or sending new parts for my car to Tampa.
The guy excused us that his boss already left the shop and they close during weekend, so he will call us back with some solution on Monday.
TireChoice in Tampa recommended to dispute the credit bill, but my mom, who visited from South Korea, actually paid all the replacement fee with her VISA credit card. The card company service center closes during weekend, so anyhow we have to wait to discuss this problem with the card company next Monday.
I'd like to know that I will be able to refund the money that I paid for the transmission replacement or that I have the legal right to ask the new parts to be delivered to Tampa, so I can have Tirechoice to replace the transmission again.
What should I do? what legal right do I have? Can I sue the Atlanta mechanics? if so, under what subjects?

Last edited:

cyjeff

Disputing the claim may be the best way to go...

Having said that, give the Atlanta repair shop the opportunity to make it right, first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">