• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Junky truck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjf2105

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I recently purchased a 97 ford f-150 pickup truck from a private seller on craigslist for $1200 cash. a few days after registering the vehicle the transmission started slipping noticeably and had great difficulty getting into gear (it's an automatic transmission) and upon the first time filling the tank with gasoline I noticed that gas was pouring all over the floor and the gas tank was not securely attached. The sellers had stated that the car ran great and he assured me that it needed no work save for the rust on the body and potentially some tires in the near future. We agreed to the sale I left a $50 deposit and my brother picked up the vehicle for me the following evening as I had to work. The seller had already written out a bill of sale for $500 dollars without consulting me and before my brother arrived. I registered the vehicle only paying tax on the $500.

The total cost of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle. The seller is not willing to rescind on the deal and has been downright rude and unsympathetic. Do I have a case to take to small claims? Will I be in trouble if I take this to court since I didn't pay sales tax on the full purchase value of the vehicle?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I recently purchased a 97 ford f-150 pickup truck from a private seller on craigslist for $1200 cash. a few days after registering the vehicle the transmission started slipping noticeably and had great difficulty getting into gear (it's an automatic transmission) and upon the first time filling the tank with gasoline I noticed that gas was pouring all over the floor and the gas tank was not securely attached. The sellers had stated that the car ran great and he assured me that it needed no work save for the rust on the body and potentially some tires in the near future. We agreed to the sale I left a $50 deposit and my brother picked up the vehicle for me the following evening as I had to work. The seller had already written out a bill of sale for $500 dollars without consulting me and before my brother arrived. I registered the vehicle only paying tax on the $500.

The total cost of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle. The seller is not willing to rescind on the deal and has been downright rude and unsympathetic. Do I have a case to take to small claims? Will I be in trouble if I take this to court since I didn't pay sales tax on the full purchase value of the vehicle?
You did not have a mechanic check out the car on a 18 year old truck? :(

Google "as is sale".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">