• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just sold car, no knowledge of salvage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bogusflyer

PLEASE HELP! Just sold car, no knowledge of salvage

What is the name of your state? Georgia (Camden County)

I sold a 1974 VW Bug yesterday in a person to person sale (no dealers involved). Today the buyers show up, telling me that the the car is a salvage. I purchased the vehicle a few years ago from another guy and the title he signed over to me, which I signed over to them, was from South Carolina and didn't say salvage on it. I told them that (from what I had been told) a mechanic had found it in a junkyard and rebuilt it from the engine up. Now, they want their money back. Am I legally bound to refund their money? Thanks.

Last edited:

dallas702

Was the car otherwise represented fairly? Was the title matching the VIN, and the VIN still good for that chassis/engine? If you told them it was rebuilt from a junkyard car what did they think the title might be....just one that someone gave away? Duh! Did they ask you specifically if the title was clear or NOT salvage, and did you guarantee them that in writing?

If you lied or attempted to conceal the true title condition you might have to undo the deal, but if you had no knowledge (unlike stolen or switched VIN cars) you may not have anything to worry about (GA state statutes will specify).

Did you ever register the car?

What did these geniuses pay for your little bug?

bogusflyer

I told them that I had the title, and whether it was a salvage was never asked (I wouldn't have known what to tell them other than it came from a junkyard...) I had never heard of a "salvage title" until they showed up on my doorstep yelling about it. It was when I went to the DMV with them to try and sort it out that I learned that it actually was a salvage and what that meant. I did have the car registered here and had tags for it and drove it almost daily..... Does that help?

dallas702

Sounds to me like they have a car and you have $xxxx in your pocket. Hmmmmm...1974 bug...probably falls under small claims jurisdiction. Unless you really gouged them for it (calling it an all original, low mileage, fully restored, trailer queen showcar) the difference in value isn't going to be more than a few hundred bucks. Heck, most 60s and 70s bugs have something that was replaced or rebuilt on them....or need it.

Again, how much are we talking here? In USD.

dallas702

Geez Louise! What do they think they should have paid for it? If it's a good driver and not a rust bucket they got a fair deal. Salvage title? Big deal. Were they planning to restore it and make a profit? If so, they are really dreaming.

Unless you think they are going to retaliate in some violent way take your chances in court. The worst that could happen is that you get the car back and return their money. Then you deduct for the time they drove it and sell it again for $2000. If you were here (assuming it's a reliable, safe driver) I'd buy it for my son.

bogusflyer

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to our auto mechanics yesterday and they said that even with a salvage title that car was worth more. They told me I was stupid for having sold it for less than $2500. If it comes down to it, would their opinion be worth anything in court?

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)a mechanic had found it in a junkyard and rebuilt it from the engine up. Now, they want their money back. Am I legally bound to refund their money? (QUOTE)

Am I the only one not getting that this was a salvaged car?

dallas702

Bogus;

Sure. The fact that you didn't lie to them, conceal anything, or even have knowledge based on your own title give you a strong defense. Plus, if they really wanted to they could have asked you for the VIN and had it checked out before. They knew they were getting a good deal. I'd be really tempted to take it back and sell it for more. If the car is in pretty decent shape with rebuilt mechanicals I would have guessed around $2400 easy.

Were they the first ones who came to look at it? What was your original asking price?

Paridise;

Yeah, these buyers must have been very anxious to get the car, or very dimwitted to not have figured that out. Lemesee...junkyard rebuild...what does that mean...duh?

bogusflyer

Yeah, from what all of the people I've spoken to since then have said, they got a great deal. I was originally asking $2200. Yes, they were the first people to look at it. Buying it back is not an option due to lack of $$$. I used the money to pay off debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">