• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for a dealer to remove emissions equipment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Number21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Can anybody tell me if it is legal for a used car dealer to remove emissions equipment on their vehicles prior to sale? Things like catalytic converters, EGR systems, etc? There is no local emissions inspection or testing. I'm more interested in the federal laws regarding this.

As best I can tell it is illegal for a NEW car dealer to remove federally required emissions equipment. What about used dealers?

Number21

Can a dealer be sued if they blatantly admit to removing emissions equipment before somebody buys a car? Is it ever federally enforced? If a dealer advertises this as a service they perform, would they be fined if somebody complained?

justalayman

Can a dealer be sued if they blatantly admit to removing emissions equipment before somebody buys a car? Is it ever federally enforced? If a dealer advertises this as a service they perform, would they be fined if somebody complained?
Yes, yes, it is not likely illegal to advertise the service. It is illegal to perform the service

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">