• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lemon Law? Does it related to Used Vehicle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Michelle J.

I have previous experience with the Lemon Law on a new rig, however, a week ago Saturday my husband & I purchased a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 pick-up -- 1 year old lease return rig, 23,000 miles on it. Did NOT do trade in, put $10,000 down, and financed balance. This WAS from a dealership. The rig did have a little vibration in steering wheel, which we mentioned, but Chevy's are notorious for being sensitive to wheels/tires, and have that as a problem. My husband put custom wheels/tires on it, and the vibration did NOT improve. Put it up on a rack to do alignment & lo & behold... it had been wrecked! Evidently the core support brackets behind the grille had been replaced, the skid pan & support area underneath in front was still packed with mud & debris, and actually had been sprayed over with paint. We had a body man look at it also, and he proceeded to show us the variations in paint down the right side & back of cab area -- CarFax showed no evidence of this, and most likely this was NOT reported (leased vehicle at the time).
Have discussed with dealer -- of course they do NOT want to void sale -- we have confirmed that frame is not bent & would be willing to keep it, but NOT for original price. (If they'd have said it had been wrecked we probably would not have looked at it at all!) They indicate can NOT come down on price, so evidently are now looking for replacement at auction. Told my husband they'd get back to him yesterday -- at 3:00 pm he called & both managers are "not in on Thursdays". My feeling is they need to void sale at this time -- perhaps consider reasonable expense for use of rig (they didn't want to keep it when he took it in Monday) and return balance of downpayment. Manager evidently commented to my husband that "...you know the value of these decreases significantly every 5,000 miles", and I'm figuring they want him to keep it & keep driving until we go past 25,000 -- so they'll use that as leverage to keep $ & force no adjustment?
Any input on options or ?? suggestions would be appreciated -- we live in Washington state if that makes any difference.
Thank you in advance
Michelle J.

TCB4U2B2B

Hello: Michelle

Unfortunately, the federal lemon law dose not apply to used vehicles under any circumstances. Purchasing any used vehicle, for the most part is still under the "Buyer Beware" rules.

All used vehicles should be checked out by the buyers personal mechanic or a knowledgeable third party professional paid for by the buyer. The same type rules a home buyer should due prior to purchasing a pre owned home.

About you only recourse at this point is to contact the vehicle manufacturers main office, local state office, your states DMV which licenses vehicle dealerships, department of auto vehicle repairs and possibly the BBB.

Case Dismissed.
Courts Adjourned.
Regards and Good Luck.
TCB4U2B2B

Regards and Good Luck.
TCB4U2B2B
A Guiding Light Out Of The Darkness....:)
Providing No Real Legal Advice. Administering "HUGE Doses of Reality" When Needed or as Required...:D
Personal Quote: "When In Doubt, Consider All Your Options and Allow Common Sense To Prevail."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">