• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tesa.chambers

Mall

My daughter and son went to the mall, and her car got stollen, the security at the mall preventing my daughter to call the police to report the matter, so my husband and I call the Police. we ask to view the survillant camera, but the police inform us that it is not working, my quistion was is there any type of responsibility the has? Thank you

swalsh411

LOL how did security prevent your daughter from calling the police? Even if she didn't have a cell phone, malls still have public pay phones. The mall is not responsible for her car being stolen. By agreeing to park there she agrees in advance that they are not responsible.

You Are Guilty

LOL how did security prevent your daughter from calling the police? Even if she didn't have a cell phone, malls still have public pay phones. The mall is not responsible for her car being stolen. By agreeing to park there she agrees in advance that they are not responsible.
Wellllllllllll, just for clarity's sake, if a mall employee stole the car, and the mall knew about this employee's propensity for criminal acts, then there might be some liability for the mall.

But otherwise, as noted, malls do not provide car theft insurance.

sandyclaus

About that "surveillant" (sic) camera...

Sometimes retailers or businesses just have non-functional "dummy" cameras in place to deter criminal activity. Or perhaps the camera really was broken and just hadn't been fixed yet.

Either way, the camera can be seen as a deterrent, but not a guarantee against criminal activity. Even if it WAS working, the owners usually don't just give up the recordings without a request from law enforcement, or even a subpoena.

But as swalsh411 and YAG have pointed out, all of this is immaterial because mall parking areas tend to be a hotbed of criminal activity. For this reason, most mall management companies post signs all over with a disclaimer of any liability for theft or vandalism that occurs within the confines of the parking lots.

Besides, that's what your own car insurance is for. Unless, of course, you elected to have liability-only coverage yourself, in which case you appear to be out of luck getting anyone to pay for the stolen vehicle replacement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">