• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mechanic ripped me off?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cawkazn

to make a long story short

I went to a mechanic to fix my engine, he said i needed a new(used) engine put in rather than fix the one I had. I paid him $2000 to do this. the new(used) engine he put in did not run right. I brought it back for him to fix it, he could not fix it and did not know whats wrong with it. I brought it to the dealership to have it looked at, they said it would cost alot of money(that i dont have)to find out whats wrong with it. So i brought it back to the mechanic and he has agreed to give me $1000 back. So I am out $1000 and am left with a car that does not run properly. what should i do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
to make a long story short

I went to a mechanic to fix my engine, he said i needed a new(used) engine put in rather than fix the one I had. I paid him $2000 to do this. the new(used) engine he put in did not run right. I brought it back for him to fix it, he could not fix it and did not know whats wrong with it. I brought it to the dealership to have it looked at, they said it would cost alot of money(that i dont have)to find out whats wrong with it. So i brought it back to the mechanic and he has agreed to give me $1000 back. So I am out $1000 and am left with a car that does not run properly. what should i do?
Take your $1,000 to the dealer and have THEM diagnose the car.

BL

What is the name of your State ? ( US Law Only )

What was the contract with the mechanic ?

Where was the used engine purchased from ,and was there a warranty ?

Is the $1000.00 refund ,the purchase price for the engine ,or more ?

The mechanic would be entitle to labor cost ,plus any additional parts agreed upon by you .

ariastar

How much time lapsed between your picking up the car and taking it back to the mechanic? Are we talking days? Months?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">