• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My brand new car! HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

runer111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California.

I bought my new honda 2011 civic at the end of March. Since I have purchased it, I will be driving on the freeway from Dana Point to Orange, for school, and my car feels like it is slipping. It is almost as if the RPM will go up but the car slips into nuetral. It will do this a few times. I am noticing it more and more. I called the dealer that I bought it from and they said that I can bring it in but they cannot promise they will fix it (even tho my car is under warrenty). I took my car in, and they said sorry we cant duplicate the problem, there is nothing we can do. If you want, one of the boys can take your car home to oceanside for the weekend adn see if they can duplicate the problem, if they do, then we will fix it...if not then nothing we can do. In the mean time no rental car for you, and we cant promise anything. I am unsue what to do. They would not even look under the hood of my car. They also tried to tell me the reason my car was having problems is probably because there is a rodant and if so, the warrenty does not cover it. I am a girl, yes, but I am not stupid, and I am not sure what to do...any help?

cyjeff

Yup. go to another dealership that will actually connect the tranny to a computer so that they can read the code.

Your dealership doesn't want to be on the hook for warranty work.

runer111

What do you mean they do not want to be on the hook for the warranty work? I thought that is a good thing that the car is under warranty...? And what is this code you are talking about? By the way, thank you for your insight!

cyjeff

If your transmission is slipping, the car's computer will generate a code and record it to help the diagnostic process.

Are you saying that they didn't even check the car's computer when you brought it in?

Warranty work doesn't pay as well as regular repair work for a dealership. Yes, they have to do it but they will try to discourage you. Kinda like trying to make you quit so that they don't have to fire you.

I am not saying this to be sexist or demeaning... but you are learning this process. Ask someone that knows their way around a garage to go with you.

Listen to the questions asked and answers given. There is NOTHING wrong with admitting you don't understand this world. After all, you are going to school to learn stuff, right? This is just another lesson.

runer111

No, they would not even look at the car--under the hood, or hook it up to the computer. He did say that he could hook it up to the computer but it takes about 4 hours and it would cost me. But I didnt understand why it would cost if the car is under warrenty and their isnt more than 2000 miles on it. So, they do not need to test drive it for the weekend? They can just hook it up to a computer for X amount of time and it will tell if the transmission is slipping or why it is doing what it does? Thanks again for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, they would not even look at the car--under the hood, or hook it up to the computer. He did say that he could hook it up to the computer but it takes about 4 hours and it would cost me. But I didnt understand why it would cost if the car is under warrenty and their isnt more than 2000 miles on it. So, they do not need to test drive it for the weekend? They can just hook it up to a computer for X amount of time and it will tell if the transmission is slipping or why it is doing what it does? Thanks again for your help.
I agree. This dealer is trying to avoid the work and scare you off. As was suggested, take a friend who is knowledgeable about cars and/or go to another dealer.

cyjeff

Okay.. the dealership is just being crappy.

The diagnostic takes about 10 minutes and is covered as long as it reveals a warranty problem.

Do not let these yahoos take your car ANYWHERE... but ESPECIALLY home.

Who told you this crap? If you weren't talking to the service manager, talk to him/her...if you were, talk to the general manager... if him/her won't help you, I would be on the phone number for Honda America so fast they would think I had it on speed dial.

Call Honda anyway... they deserve to know they have snakes in their woodpile.

cyjeff

I agree. This dealer is trying to avoid the work and scare you off. As was suggested, take a friend who is knowledgeable about cars and/or go to another dealer.
In fact, this made me think of something....

OP, can you tell us EXACTLY the model number of the car?

do you want to bet there is a recall on the transmission that will require the dealership have it up on a lift for a few days?

This may actually be something for the state to investigate.

runer111

The guy who suggested letting one of his "boys" take my car home was the "green team-service manager". He is also the same person saying that if I wanted my car to be hooked up to the computer to drop it off and it will take 3-4 hours once it is hooked up, but that doesnt guarentee an answer. I was shocked when he said that I could let one of his "boys" take my car home for the weekend...it seemed odd to me.

runer111

I can go look at the paperwork in the car for the model and make real quick. Let me go grab it. is it a website that tells you if the transmission or the call is recalled?

cyjeff

Call the dealership tonight. Ask for an appointment with the General Manager soonest.

Be polite and direct.

Tell the GM what you have told us. See what he/she does. Bring your friend with you.

Then call Honda.

runer111

Okay, so I called to make the appointment, and they said, "uh which would you like, the general manager of sales or the general manager of Weseloh Honda?" I opted for the GM of Weseloh. I have to email him for an appt. Should I still tell you the exact model of the car?

justalayman

You can. Some of the posters here know where to look for recalls and TSB's (technical service bulletins).

While it sounds like you are getting blown off, the problem may not actually be evident. Running a diagnostic could provide a lot of info but, then again, it might not show anything out of the ordinary either. That is why they should have run the diagnostic.

make sure that on the paperwork it is noted, as accurately as possible, the problem with the transmission. If the problem is not diagnosable at the moment, that doesn't mean the instant the warranty expires it would not be covered. Documentation of a problem while under warranty means there was a problem, while under warranty and as such, in a lot of cases, the warranty will still cover that problem, even after the warranty has expired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">