• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Boat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thommes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

We bought a new boat from a dealer 5 hours away from us. The dealer is in MI but the sale was completed in OH as we paid OH taxes. They delivered the boat to us which is the first time that we saw the boat. The delivery guy gave us a quick 10 minute tour of the boat and took off. After he left we discovered several issues with the boat. I contacted the dealer and they are refusing to accept responsibility for some of the issues, accepted responsibilities for others. With the two that they accepted responsibility for five weeks have passed and they have not resolved the issue, blaming my local marina as the hold up giving them an estimate for repair. My local marina has NOT been contacted. I have gone as far as contacting the manufacturer of the boat and they said they would call the dealer to see what help they could offer.

Looking to see what the options are with resolving the two issues the dealer will not accept responsibility for. The big one is a major dent and scratch that could be structural. I have people who will witness that the boat was delivered in that condition.

thommes

Did you note the defects upon delivery on the shipping invoice?
No. The dealer is in MI, 5 hours away from us. We had them deliver the boat. The guy that dropped the boat off to us and gave us the 30 second tour was in a hurry to start on his 5 hour drive back. We did not notice the dent and scratch until after he left. We do have witnesses that the dent and scratch were on the boat that day.

justalayman

No. The dealer is in MI, 5 hours away from us. We had them deliver the boat. The guy that dropped the boat off to us and gave us the 30 second tour was in a hurry to start on his 5 hour drive back. We did not notice the dent and scratch until after he left. We do have witnesses that the dent and scratch were on the boat that day.
did you sign some form as to the condition of the boat when it was delivered? If so and you did not list the damages you speak of here, you are out of luck.

thommes

did you sign some form as to the condition of the boat when it was delivered? If so and you did not list the damages you speak of here, you are out of luck.
I only signed the purchase agreement form. I do not recall it stating anything about the condition of the boat. In addition, if I had, I'm sure the dealer would have informed me about the piece of paper by this point.

justalayman

who hired the person to deliver the boat? If the dealer, was this a private contractor or an employee of the dealership?

justalayman

Ok, for anything that would not be a warranty item, get an estimate from somebody locally regarding the damages and send the dealership a demand letter seeking compensation for those damages. For anything that is a warranty issue, you would have to progress through the warranty process to have the item repaired.

If they do not want to fix the non-warranty damages or send you a check to cover them, you will likely be relegated to suing them. You might consider hiring a lawyer to send them a scare letter threatening a suit should they refuse to pay. That, sometimes, instills a sense of seriousness that causes others to act a bit more properly concerning the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">