• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mccloskeyjl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I bought a used Honda Odyssey through a reputable Honda dealer in 2008 with an extended warranty. Two years after the purchase, the car started to make loud noises whenever we would apply the brakes. At first, the noise would only occur at low speeds - for example while picking up the kids from school. Eleven months later the problem still exists. The car has been serviced nine times in the last year, and only once did the dealer give me a free rental. I contacted Honda corporate, and was told that it was to be expected on a car that has 86k miles. It was wear and tear. I find that answer unacceptable for a $42k car. Nobody knows what is causing the problem, and the service manager has told me that it cannot be fixed. Today my husband picked up the kids and was steaming mad. We would like some legal advice, since we cannot afford a new car at the moment, and was hoping that this would last for at least another 100k miles. HELP!

Would this fall into the "lemon law" category or something similar? Can we have the warranty extended since nobody can tell us what is wrong with the car? Can we be reimbursed for past charges?

Kiawah

Brake problems should be easy to resolve, you either need to escalate your case to a regional Honda representative (assuming it was a Honda dealership doing these repairs), or get it to a different dealership. It would be easy to replace all of the braking parts (rotors, brake pads, calipers, etc), even wheel bearings if they had to.

You might try calling:
Customer Service - the Official Honda Web Site

Have all your services records ready when you call, VIN, dealer name/address, service dates, actions performed, etc

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why did you start a new thread? https://forum.freeadvice.com/consumer-contracts-guarantees-warranties-22/honda-odyssey-dilemma-561703.html

OHRoadwarrior

I would suggest the noise is a harmonic, caused by a rotor or brake pad, or both. I had a Chevy that it took changing calipers to get the noise corrected. It is not a defect in operation. It is an anomaly. Unless you can prove the parts are all Honda original equipment, I doubt Honda will waste their time with it. The problem is usually caused by an aftermarket part(s) that fit, function but are harmonically incompatible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">